Thursday, June 10, 2010

A few more favorite children's books....






















Over the last few months as I have gone through the easy fiction section relabeling the books, I have seen books that I just had to take home and read. The two bottom photo's are of my piles of books that I have brought home. I'm down to the last four books. Since all the books need to be returned and I can't take anymore out this is the last of the children's books that I will tell you about from my job. I do plan to continue to read more children's books as my hope is to someday be a published children's book author. I actually will start this summer typing my stories on this site, perhaps your comments will help me decide if any of them are good. I take criticism pretty well.
First up is "Fanny's Dream" by Caralyn Buehner pictures by Mark Buehner. This book takes place in Wyoming, Fanny a young sturdy farm girl dreams of going to a ball and marrying a prince. When she hears that the Governor is having a ball, she decides that she will be going with the help of her fairy godmother. It happened to the girl in a book and she believes it can happen to her too. That night as she waits for her fairy godmother Heber Jensen shows up instead. After much talking Heber finds that Fanny would be a great wife for him but will she marry him and give up her dream? You'll have to read it and find out.
Earrings! by Judith Viorst. Do you have a child that really really wants to have something? In this book a young girl wants beautiful earrings for pierced ears. But she is told she is too young. This girl tries many was to persuade her parents to get her earrings, and continues to say " I want them, I need them, I love them.... All parents can relate to this book. I know my daughter wants, needs, and loves to think she should have a cell phone, a lap top and an ipod... So this book made me laugh, and feel like hey I'm not the only one.. I also remember a young little girl who wanted, needed and loved horses... She asked for one every birthday and Christmas for years and after many years of waiting got one... So there is hope. Enjoy.
If I WERE IN CHARGE OF THE WORLD and other worries... By Judith Viorst. This is a poem book. I liked the poems, but especially the poem If I WERE IN CHARGE OF THE WORLD
Here it is from the book
"If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel oatmeal,
Monday mornings,
Allergy shots, and also
Sara Steinberg.
If I were in charge of the world
There'd be brighter night lights,
Healthier hamsters, and
Basketball baskets forty-eight inches lower.
If I were in charge of the world
You wouldn't have lonely.
You wouldn't have clean.
You wouldn't have bedtimes.
Or " Don't punch your sister."
You wouldn't even have sisters.
If I were in charge of the world
A chocolate sundae with whipped cream and nuts would be a vegetable.
All 007 movies would be G.
And a person who sometimes forgot to brush,
and sometimes forgot to flush,
would still be allowed to be in charge of the world."
I thought this was just a great poem. You could read it to your children and then ask them what they would do if they were in charge of the world.
I think I would make Library assistants so important they couldn't be fired and their jobs would be full time.
I'd also have longer summer vacations.
What would you do if you were in charge of the world?
Jack's Garden By Henry Cole. A while ago I wrote about a garden book " This is the Rose." This book is similar to that book. The book builds up, one or two sentences at a time as you watch Jack grow a garden. If you have young children interested in gardening this is a great book to read to them. It has a simple text and shows and labels many of the items used for gardening, flowers, birds, and insects found by the garden and what the garden needs to grow.
The illustrations are very nice and true to life.
I know I will continue to look for different gardening books this summer. I love to garden and I'm now starting to take the photo's that I've taken over the years and making blank note cards with them. I'm going to put labels on the backs of the cards about what the plant is and that I took the photo's. What was really great was that Wal-mart had the blank cards on sale this week so I've stocked up. It will make good Christmas presents this year.
Well I hope that you check out some of the books if you have young children. Even if you don't, check out a children's book, you might find that there is a little magic there in the pages, and it will help you remember a little bit of your youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment