Tuesday, June 15, 2010

5 days left, and there is scanning seen in my future!


This is what I'm doing in 5 days! I'm going to sleep in the sun, just like my cat! My daughter and I started reading a book "Strange Happenings" By Avi. It is a collection of short stories and the first story is about a boy who wishes to be his cat, and what happens when the wish came true. I do think I would get bored after awhile of sleeping and playing all the time. But for a week or two this summer it might be nice!



This is the end of relabeling the books! A little over 100 books left. The labels are made and they are just waiting for me to put them on.












These are the books that I have taken off the shelves over the past few weeks, that need some fixing. I would like to fix, them and told the Librarian this, he said that he see scanning in my future. Which means that I will be doing the inventory. Each book in the library needs to be scanned into the system. I think I've touched all the books just a little too much this year. But I'm up to the work.
So one very frustrating thing about the relabeling process that I really noticed today, is that I can not for the life of me figure out how the computer organizes the labels as it prints them out. I would think that the labels would print out the way I scan the books into the computer. So each set of 30 books would be a page of labels. I doubled the amount of books I pulled from the shelves today, and printed four sheets of labels at a time, with 30 labels per sheet. I have all the books organized on my desk, so that I always start with the first book scanned. But with my 4 sheets of paper I am constantly hunting down the books, it makes no sense. At some points all the labels for a group of books will be on the same sheet, and then bam, the next 5 will all be on different sheets of paper. Each time I think, ah I've figured it out, I am thrown for a loop. It is very very frustrating for me that this happens. I am a person who likes order, and I like things to make sense and this makes no sense! AHH! The Librarian had to listen to me continue to complain about this today, and he said " You need to blog about that!" I said that I would.
A book I saw as I was labeling that I liked was " The Library" by Sarah Stewart. It is about a young girl who loves to read and collect books, who grows up and spends her time reading and collecting books, and then when her house can not fit another book, she donates the house to the town, and it becomes the town library. It is a nice book to read. Especially if you have a child who loves to read.
This summer I'm going to read all of Chris Van Allsburg's books. I think his books are very interesting. He is the author of Jumanji, and Zathura. One of the books the Librarian reads every year at TV turn off week is his book The Wretched Stone. He tries to see how many children realize that the stone is a TV. Any time I see one of his books the illustrations just pull me in and I want to read and find out what the story is about.
I've also decided that this summer the kids and I are going to spend a lot of time outside, and that I'm going to try to do less busy work, and find as much time as possible to just relax and enjoy the moment. I have felt like I've been running at full speed in the rat race of life lately and I just want to slow down and stop feeling like I'm on a roller coaster or race horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment