Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4 days no more labeling on to inventory

So there are 4 days left and we are in the process of doing an inventory of the books. Here are some photo's and explanations. Another thing to add to my resume. I now know how to inventory books.

These are photo's of all the books I scanned this afternoon! Lots and Lots of books. I feel bad for the librarian, usually we get a substitute so that we can spend all the last days closing down the library, this year no substitute, no money for that! So when I go home he stays and works to get more stuff done. It is not going to be fun next year in the schools. Most of the support staff have lost their jobs, the work they did to help the teachers have more time to prepare lessons, and really focus on the children is now going to have to be done by the teachers. It is going to be a lot of work for them.

















































This is the computer that is usually on my desk. It is on the cart that we keep the net books in. I have to use this set up to inventory the books. This cart is very heavy to pull about. I started at the Fiction "A" books for inventory. I have to scan each book in order, watching for any errors. I got all the way to the Fiction "T" boy my left shoulder hurt from pulling one book forward at a time and scanning it. I fear that tomorrow I will really be feeling it.




These books are the last books that need to be labeled. Although as I was leaving I noticed a pile of books in the return cart. And I also saw students carrying books down to the library as I was waiting for my daughter. Ugh! I saw a few that did not have the right labels. It never ends!





























Here it is the last book shelf finished! I can not even begin to think about how many books I have re-labeled. But it has to have been a huge amount. This was a project we were going to do over a course of a few years, but in January when I heard my job was over in June, I decided to get as much done as possible. Now the Librarian may do the non-fiction and biography over the summer.
The Librarian read the book "Last day blues" to the students today. He told the students about how important it is to read over the summer. I have to say at least with my children that is one thing I am doing correctly. I make sure they read pretty much every day of school break. Maybe that is why they are doing so well in school. This summer we are doing reading and math work books. I hope to go different places outside and set up a blanket and say lets relax and read.
I had to read Scardey squirrel again today. I think I'm going to buy that book. I am just like that squirrel. I'm scared, I'm not to sure of myself, I have lots of purell, and emergency kits. I just wish I could see down the road to the part where I'm flying, and free and alive. But right now I want to stay in my safe library, I want life to stay the same. And you know it's not going to. I just hope when I land, I know better than to lay their and play dead for a couple of hours! That's what scardey squirrel does he lands in a bush and plays dead.
So I haven't connected to Kathleen Kelly of "You've Got Mail" in awhile, but here is a quote that kind of hits the spot. She is writing to her e-mail friend telling them about the fact that her shop is closing (did you know that you can get quotes from movies off the Internet. It's kind of cool.)
"Kathleen Kelly: [writing to "NY152"] People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. My store is closing this week. I own a store, did I ever tell you that? It's a lovely store, and in a week it'll be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap. Soon, it'll be just a memory. In fact, someone, some foolish person, will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying. But the truth is... I'm heartbroken. I feel as if a part of me has died, and my mother has died all over again, and no one can ever make it right."
I've been trying really hard to be happy about the fact that I'm losing my job, I've been smiling, and cheery, and living each day to the fullest enjoying each moment sucking it all in. But deep down I'm Heartbroken. Deep down I don't want this change. I'll have this memory though. I'll have this blog, these photo's. Hopefully a few months from now I'll look back and say it was all for the best. I hope I get to that point.
I meant to say yesterday that yesterday was the last "Day 1" there will be no more day ones this year or during the next school year. Today was the last "Day 2" No more day 2's. I'm going through a lot of lasts!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment