Monday, June 21, 2010

1 Day left, the inventory is done!






I have one day left of work. Today I put all the magazines that I had put into the system away.
I shelved books, and then I finished the inventory. I also got to eat some yummy pizza.
The highlight of my day was going down to one of the first grade classrooms. While there one of the students noticed that I had the same shoes as he had. I asked are they a size "3" and he said "Yes"
Another little boy commented that he had a friend in 3rd grade that had bigger feet than me. I replied " Well you do know that I'm the original Cinderella. That's why my feet are so small. Their eyes grew big and they said " Really, your Cinderella!." And I said " Yes." They thought that was so cool. Then another student asked " Are you really not coming back next year?" and I said " Yes, I'm not coming back next year." And she looked so sad, that I said " But you know I'll probably have to come back and visit." And she said " I'm so happy!" I have loved working with the children at this school. Some of them came down and had me sign their year books. It was so nice. I learned something new "HAGS" means " have a great summer." I kept seeing this in their books, and I asked why are you writing "HAGS" And they rolled their eye's and said "It means Have a great summer" I guess I'm out of the loop.
As I was leaving today the librarian said he was amazed that I got all the inventory done, and then he said " I'm really going to miss you next year."
I'm going to miss working there next year. I'm going to miss the students, the staff (who also have been coming by and saying thank you and goodbye), I'm going to miss the books, the magazines, and the whole magical quietness of the library. I'll miss the Librarian too. (don't want him to feel left out.)
I've never been let go from a job before. I've left jobs because I've moved, gone to college, or was having a family. But I've never had this experience of being let go. I know I'm not losing my job due to poor work, I know it's the economy, and just a way to keep the school budgets lower, but you know it still hurts. It has been very interesting to see how different people in the same situation have reacted. I think I've done pretty good. I've worked just as hard even though I've known for months that I would be let go, I've stayed positive, I've smiled, and I've enjoyed everyday. I hope that I will find another place to give my time to, to learn and grow in a new job, where I can feel liked and appreciated. Tomorrow is Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment