Monday, October 15, 2018

Mom Of A Missionary E-Mails From Mexico. October 1, 2018

A Falling tin roof, A Violin, and plenty to eat.

Hello Family and Friends! Elder Bowlby here, once again.

This week packed a little more action than the last week. I'm working hard to step VERY far out of my comfort zone! (Or as I call it, "The Bowl-Bubble").

The events of this wonderful yet wacky week:

Monday after I wrote we went and met up with a less-active family and their aunt, who we're teaching! We've been teaching about the restored church, and about the commandments. The Aunt is named Irma, and she's really humble.

Tuesday we were running all over the place to reach our appointments, and we were in one part of the area and speedily trying to reach the other! It was intense. We reached a good few of our appointments, but we weren't able to meet with all of them. A recently returned missionary helped us to do some street tracting. He gave us a few needed pointers.

Wednesday we went out in search of people to invite them to our super-awesome-missionary activity that we held Saturday! (we haven't gotten to Saturday yet so hold on until then so I can tell you how it goes) We had another appointment with Irma. A mysterious, super-drunk man with a hammer showed up out of nowhere and started arguing with us, so we politely tried to leave (and man he was stubborn). We managed to appoint his direction and we hastily turned to leave him and began speed walking because he gave us the creeps. We looked back and he had disappeared into the nothingness! We were super confused. I also taught my English class again. That's right. I'm teaching English classes. Every Wednesday. At 7. This class was great because I wasn't as nervous! I enjoyed it a lot and taught how to form basic questions in English. Like: "How are you?" "What time is it?" etc. At the end they invited us to eat a cool desert. Outside in main street they were having a huapango festival and you could hear the music from three blocks away. Huapango is a type of music very typical to this region. Look it up!

Thursday: We kept inviting people to the activity this day, and kept finding people to teach.

Friday: We were supposed to have our district meetings this day, but surprise! The other Elders of a different ward also had a baptism that day. The stake president put me to play a violin in front of everybody in the chapel. It was very interesting, and I was super nervous!! My legs were trembling. But everybody loved my little violin solos. The baptism went very well, but left us no time for the district meeting. In the end, we ended up celebrating the birthday of a companion and nothing more. We then went to work, talking to everybody possible, and inviting them to the activity on Saturday.

SATURDAY: Okay here it is the grand day of the activity!! More companions had a baptism and they invited us to come on over and take part in a missionary choir (that went better than expected). We went out and talked to as many people as we could before we arrived at the chapel and set up everything for the activity. We put up a movie night and watched: "Meet the Mormons". In the end, hardly anyone showed up and we were a bit disappointed. Another ward's bishop invited all the missionaries over to his house to eat, and we had dinner there after the activity.

Sunday: In the end, we went once again to the chapel and renewed our promises and covenants with the Lord. The family that was baptized Friday invited all the Elders to their house to have lunch, and it was really nice. We tried to find some of our appointments in the afternoon, but they too fell through. In the end, another member invited just us two to dinner.

Today: We went and played soccer in the morning with our companions. I finally bought new sports shoes so I can play something other than goalie.

Soon, I will be completing 18 months in the mission. Which means that I'll only have 6 months left. It's my personal goal to live every day in the mission like it's my last day. How many more people will I talk to, how much more power and authority will I put into my testimony and invitations? Whose life will I change? Who will I serve, and how can I serve them?

This is the final stretch. I love you! I miss you, but soon we will see again. Don't worry too much about me :)

-Elder Bowlby

I think it is so great that my son is teaching people how to speak English every week.  What a great service he is providing.

No comments:

Post a Comment