Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Crocus. A study of Spring time flowers.

I'm so glad spring is finally here.  I'm starting to decorate my house with spring items and had some time to start going through all my flower photos.  When I think of spring I think of Crocus flowers.
I haven't had much luck growing them in my garden here in Utah.  And I haven't had much luck finding them in the gardens that walk either.  I used to have a lot of them in my garden in New Jersey.
I remember sitting and watching them open as the sun warmed them up, as the kids and I waited for the school bus.
The Meaning of the flower is : Cheerfulness; spring and resurrection. 
They are cheerful little flowers.
 Here is a nice Crocus Poem to celebrate spring with:
The Song of The Crocus Fairies

Crocus of yellow, new and gay;
mauve and purple, in brave array;
Crocus White
Like a cup of light, -
Hundreds of them are smiling up,
Each with a flame in its shining cup,
by the touch of the warm and welcome sun
Opened suddenly.  Springs begun!
Dance then, Fairies, for Joy and sing
The song of the coming again of spring.  
By Cicely Mary Barker.
Cicely Mary Barker was an artist and poet.  If you have young children and
you want to teach them about flowers and magic you should get 
her Flower Fairies books.  They are beautiful.  
Do you have a favorite spring flower? 
I'm not sure I can pick one as a favorite, but over the next few weeks
I hope to share some of my favorite photos and some 
poems that I have found about each one.
Happy Spring!
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment