Monday, March 25, 2019

Daffodils. A Study of Spring Flowers.

The Daffodil symbolizes rebirth and new beginnings. In England they are associated with lent and are called Lent-Lilies.
I WANDERED LONELY AS A CLOUD

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd -
A host of dancing daffodils:
Along the lake, beneath the trees,
Ten thousand dancing in the breeze

The waves beside them danced, but they
outdid the sparking waves in glee;
A poet could not but be gay
In such a laughing company.
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought.

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye 
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
William Wordsworth (1770-1850)


TO DAFFODILS
Fair daffodils, we weep to see
you haste away so soon;
As yet the early-rising sun
Has not attain'd his noon.
Stay, stay
Until the hasting day
Has run
But to the evensong;
And, having prayed together, we
Will go with you along.
We have short time to stay, as you,
We have as short a spring;
As quick a growth to meet decay,
As you, or anything.
We die,
As your hours do, and dry
Away,
Like to the summer's rain;
Or as the pearls of morning's dew,
Ne'er to be found again.
Robert Herrick (1591-1674)

I've always wanted to find a Robert Herrick poem to go with one of my
flower blogs as I do family history and know that I am very distantly related to him.
If you are giving Daffodils to anyone, always give them in a bunch,
don't give just one.  When given as a single bloom, a 
Daffodil can foretell misfortune.
What is your favorite spring flower?
G.G.
Learn more about: The Meaning of  Daffodils
                                  Lent Lily
                                Growing Daffodils



No comments:

Post a Comment