Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Mom of a Missionary. Emails from Mexico, March 4, 2018. Only 3 more Missionary Mondays left.

Will you (please) get married?

Hello, Family and Friends! Elder Bowlby here... With those promised Birthday Photos!

Happy Birthday! Me and the district. We're at a members house. We ate Pozole and then this very cool cake!
There's a tradition where you smash the Birthday-Man's face into the cake, but I managed to get away with not toooo much frosting on my face. 


Then we went to a Brazilian-style buffet. My companion on the far right is from Brazil! He's named Elder Ferraz and he's really cool. He said the food was pretty close to brazilian style.

This week we've been working hard with a few families we're teaching and asking them to... get married! We want the people to enjoy eternal families and be baptized, but they can't get baptized if they're not married first! It's hard for a 21 year old unmarried guy to talk about marriage, but we are doing what we can to help our families progress towards God's blessings.

Even though my time is short, I'm still learning. I'm chugging along and doing my best to stay focused. It's hard because everybody treats me like I'm going home tomorrow. I don't need to be hearing that!!

Here's a scripture that I liked from my studies recently. You can find it in 3 Nephi 12:13... (and this is Jesus speaking).

Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the salt of the earth; but if the salt shall lose its savor wherewith shall the earth be salted? The salt shall be thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out and to be trodden under foot of men.  

We as members of the church are counted to be as the salt of the earth. Something... different! Something that's unique and hard to describe, but very savory and good tasting. If salt doesn't taste... salty... then what good is it? It's nothing more than a rock. We need to stick out and do our best to shine our light before all people. Show them the flavor and blessing of living the Gospel.

I love you all! I miss you. We'll be seeing each other soon.

-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment