Friday, September 18, 2015

The things I saw on my morning walk...Yes Vermont is Beautiful...Remembering my childhood days..

When people ask me where I'm from I say Vermont....Oh Vermont where...Well on the boarder of the Connecticut river and New Hampshire...This little town...But really we lived on the mountain outside of town...Oh Vermont they say...It's beautiful there....Yes...It is beautiful...
I spent my youth up here wandering in the woods....lost in my own world for hours...The entrance to my adventures is now grown over.... My children never dared walk in the woods...They thought there might be monsters in there...No there are deer trails and hidden forts...and perhaps the spirits of Native Americans and tough early settlers...No monsters...adventures await I'm sure...I love Utah because the Mountains remind me of Vermont...Even though they are quiet different...The mountains here in Utah are much bigger you can't live at the top of them and look out too see the others across the way like you do in Vermont...But Mountains give me some comfort...we call Vermont "God's country"  and sometimes I think when I was all alone running through the woods as I child I played with the angels...
I was a tomboy growing up, here is my favorite tree to climb looking over one of my mothers flower gardens...I fell from it once...Thankfully I always land on my feet...
A little pool of fish....
I love this willow tree with the bench under it...I'd love to go sit under it with a good book and read..There is also a pond by it too....This field was empty when I was young and the bottom always flooded and had a little bit of ice in the winter and I would go ice skate on it...All the fields were empty when I was young, there weren't very many neighbors and my brothers and I would play baseball and kickball in the flat fields and sled on the big hills....
Lawns are a mix of things and dandelions are allowed to grow....I think that is why when everyone looks at my yard and wants to rid it of dandelions and clover I think you have it so wrong....Because I grew up in a place where your lawn is a big field not a little patch.....
Chipmunks are always running about on the stone walls....They are so cute....
This is the neighbors cat out hunting...But she reminded me of all our cats who have passed away...They would spend their days out in the woods and then come in at night...Now my parents cats stay in...It was nice to see a cat hunting in the woods...
How old are these stone walls?  Who built them?  I hope the stay there forever.....A reminder of the first people who decided to make their lives on the top of a Vermont mountain...
There is so much open space and quiet!  This is the field that I ran through barefoot every spring...I loved to see if I could run through the frozen puddles and welcome spring after a long cold winter...Then as I got older we had horses out in the field and my mom and I would race from one side to the other...I was never happy that someone decided to build a house in my field...
It's fun to go back and see a horse still in the field...It's nice to go home and just remember and relax...To have no schedule and to just enjoy the beauty of Vermont and of course to visit with my parents!
G.G.






No comments:

Post a Comment