Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My Mothers Garden....Where I get my Green Thumb from.....

I remember when I was young watching my mother in her flower gardens....She would weed, and plant and grow all kinds of flowers....I just watched....I wasn't getting my fingers dirty if I didn't have too....We had a vegetable garden that was huge and my brother and I spent enough time weeding in that...Hard to believe how much fresh food we had...Now looking back I see the blessing of it...But at the time it was just a chore...now my parents have small raised bed gardens..Fenced in to keep the deer out...
I love the lilies she has in the front yard by the crab apple tree....

My love of Hen's and Chicken plants comes from her...I think some of my plants out here are from ones she brought to me in New Jersey....And now I'm in the process of growing a bunch so that I can have a huge garden of them next year...I wonder at what point the pots of little plants will drive my husband crazy?  He hasn't complained yet...


I think we carry some green thumb magic...Things sometimes just grow that were never meant to grow...This year mom had a huge squash plant growing in the back yard by the woods and most likely compost area...She has said perhaps there are three different plants...Squash...pumpkins...how fun...I had pumpkins grow in my garden one year...watermelon another and some giant sunflowers....My lawn has some interesting flowers in it this year too... I'm sure to the annoyance of my neighbors....people like these perfect lawns everywhere but my Vermont soul craves something so different...
Beware if you decide to visit the garden with out permission....There is a ghost that haunts these woods and she is awfully scary....We call her "That Girl".....But you just never know....
G.G.




No comments:

Post a Comment