Thursday, December 9, 2010

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas....

Lately as I listen to Christmas Music I realize that many of the songs are not so happy. And you realize that Christmas is not always a happy time in people's lives. I think the reason for this is that instead of focusing on the true meaning of Christmas, which is the birth of our Savior. We focus on parties, presents and giving way more than we should or need to. One song that I have listened to and felt was a little bit on the sad side is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
As I looked up the lyrics I found that what we hear today is not the original lyrics.
So here are the original lyrics:
"Have yourself a merry little Christmas, it may
be your last,
Next year we may all be living in the past
Have yourself a merry little Christmas, Pop that Champagne cork,
Next year we will all be living in New York.
No good times like the olden days, happy golden days of yore,
Faithful friends who were dear to us, will be near to us no more.
But at least we all will be together, if the fates allow,
From now on we'll have to muddle through somehow.
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now."


I think though that there are a lot of people in the have yourself a merry Christmas mode this year. So many people are struggling to make it through just the month. Many people may be moving just because there is a job somewhere else. The struggles of this year to some seem never ending, and the hope that things will turn around seem dim. I have hope that things will turn around. I have hope that things will get better. But I know there are many who do not.
An article from my churches magazine really helped me this week. It was titled "FEAR NOT".
It helped me to see that Christmas is more about Heavenly Father sending solutions to the problems of the world than about gifts and having things. Mary was a young woman who was asked to be the mother of God's son. She was afraid. And yet the angel said " Fear not...For with God nothing shall be impossible." (Luke 1:30,37). What was nice to read in this article was that with God there is a solution to every problem we have. Much of the Christmas story has the reassuring words of "Fear Not" spoken. To Mary, To Joseph, To the Shepard's. I'd never thought of this before. But in a world where it seems so many have fear, it is good to read this story and see God saying Fear not. So I will continue to move forward and fear not. For I know that God will have a solution to the situation my husband and I find ourselves in. I continue to be faithful, to be patient, and have hope. I hope you also will find that too.

Moments of Joy: Helping a friend with their new kitten. I got to show them how to clip it's nails so that they and their children will not get scratched so much. Plus kept the kitten from being declawed. Visiting with a friend who I haven't seen in awhile. Chatting with people I don't know in the grocery line. People like to talk to me. I'm not sure why but people just come up to me and feel like they need to chat. I guess I look like someone who will listen and care. Going to my children's music concerts. They are both so talented. I often think that they will do something great someday.

Things I'm thankful for: A home, cars that run, healthy children and spouse, my kitty cat. The ability to grow. The trial I'm in as I'm learning so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment