Monday, December 27, 2010

Garden in a Blizzard

If Winter Comes, Can Spring be far Behind? (Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) ) I sure hope it comes soon.

We spent the night at home warm and comfy as a Blizzard raged about us. I was supposed to work, but by 4pm I knew there was the possibility that I could get into work, but there was the greater possibility that I might not get there and if I got there I would definitely not get back home. So I called in and let them know that the roads were to bad for me to drive in. They were very OK with this so that made me feel good. I hate not doing what I'm expected. I've been wanting to take photo's of my garden in winter and so here are a few. The plants are all dead, and now


Covered with snow. I miss being out among the living plants, and digging in the soil. Spring will not come fast enough. Here are two Photo's of my children playing in the snow. I'm not sure my son looks too comfortable. I think he was getting snow down his boots. I am happy that they have fit in the same boots and ski pants for the past three years. My daughter I think is tougher. She was rolling in the snow, sticking her head in it, and not complaining a bit. She is made with some kind of strength. One thing I hope to add to each of my posts this coming year are some gardening tips or quotes. Here is another I found and feel very much like I connect with.


"Perhaps I am a bear, or some Hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me." Anne Morrow Lindbergh (1906 - 2001)

I have to say I've done a lot of sleeping today. But perhaps I'm catching up due to all the lack of sleep I've had the past two weeks working the midnight shift.

I also sat and read some children's books about snow. Here is a list of my Favorites:

"Snow Dance" By Lezlie Evans

"Kipper's Snowy Day" By Mick Inkpen (we also have the movie for this. Love the Christmas short. Which do you like better anticipating the presents or opening them.)



"The Biggest, Best Snowman" By Margery Cuyler

" Snowball Fight" By Jimmy Fallon

"Snow" By Uri Shulevitz ( I like how in this all the adults say there will be no snow and yet it comes. I felt this way on Saturday. And yet the snow came.)

And one good Christmas book " Great Joy" By Kate DiCamillo




Here is my poor rose bush covered with snow.

My thoughts have been very much on not using credit cards in 2011. My big thought is that I will have to be very thoughtful about each item I buy. I must have all shopping trips planned and lists made and know the exact amount of money I will need to buy what I need. My goal also is to stay away from stores as much as possible. January is going to be the month to buy nothing. Expect of course food and necessities. We will see how well this works.












No comments:

Post a Comment