Sunday, July 22, 2018

Mom Of A Missionary.....Emails from Mexico...July 2,2018

Re: A week of unexpected expectations

Hello, friends and family.

It's amazing that in one week, so many things can happen.

When I wrote to you last Monday, I had a lot on my mind. The heat of Mante, the struggle of the work in this ward, and an uncertain future were pushing down on me. I didn't enjoy that. I felt very very distraught.
Tuesday my situation worsened. I began realizing certain things as I analyzed the reasons for 

I had to talk with the leaders and I broke down. Thank goodness that Elder McKay had words of comfort for me that night. All of my companions told me to look to the Lord and seek guidance. Trust in God and the Savior would be able to boost me through this.

Wednesday I started feeling a bit better. I went on a mini-division (splits) with Elder McKay in order to calm myself down a bit. I beat him a ton in Uno, and we were able to talk in english for a bit. I went back to my area thursday feeling much better.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were a bit of a blur. They elected the new Mexican President as well as local municipal presidents. There was a ton of political mish-mash going on here in Mexico. No investigator managed to arrive at church because the voting was held sunday morning. 

Everything is all calm right now. I'm feeling better and trying to find a way to draw that won't lead to me feeling bad again. I'm going to try and hold off with all of the creation for series and cartoons for until I get back from the Mission, because this is the time I have to really focus on serving my God. I hope that I'll be able to make up for some lost time, and really put forth an effort like never before. Sacrifice brings blessings, and I'm sure that the Lord has something better planned for me.

I'd like to share a scripture from my studies that I really liked:

It's in 1st Nephi 17: Verses 50-51.

Nephi recieves the commandment of the Lord to build a boat so that his family can be brought to the promised land. Nephi doesn't doubt the Lord's command and gets to work right away, but his older brothers doubt that he's actually able to do it. Nephi says the following:

50 And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.

51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?

Feel free to substitute "Build a ship" for a personal struggle or goal you want to accomplish. How is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should... (wait on the cartoons? Provide for my family? serve others? be a better person?) The list is endless.

I love you all, and miss you loads. I invite you to take a moment and not just read, but ponder the scriptures. What can you personally apply from what you're reading?

See you next week!
-Elder Bowlby
It is very hard to get an email that is not positive.  When you realize that your child has been having a hard week and you have no way of really talking to them.  Sometimes because I check my email constantly on Mondays I can email back in time for him to read a new message from me.  But most of the time I get his message and then it's a week before we hear from each other again.  Our next phone call is in December.  So I guess these letters make me pray more in the week for my son.  It seems the closer it gets to him coming home the longer the weeks seem to drag o

No comments:

Post a Comment