Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Somerville Cruise Night....A Walk Down Memory Lane.....

Friday afternoon on our vacation we spent the day walking the streets of Somerville New Jersey....So much has changed since I first walked down the streets of Somerville...But one things has not the Friday Night Old Car Cruise...
This is the town where I had my first job out of college...It wasn't my dream job of working for a Veterinarian office...But I was a Manager of a bank....I remember walking out of the bank one Friday night to get a sub from Subway and seeing the streets filled with these old cars....For a little country girl from Vermont it seemed strange...
This is the town where my husband and I met...He would come in to the bank on a Friday night...and talk about the beach and all his adventures....He had so much energy and it was fun to listen to him...It's always nice to have customers who are friendly... Our first date consisted of sitting on a bench and talking...watching the world go by...
Through the years we would walk the streets first as a newly wed couple...Then with the children...My husband could look at old cars and talk about old cars for hours on end....The kids and I get a little bored...We liked visiting the shops and getting ice cream...
One of my husbands friends owns a car like this so we had to take lots of photo's to show him....The one thing I've learned about old car projects is they are really never finished...There is something that always needs tweaking ....Parts to be changed out...seems you can work on old cars forever.....
Many of our favorite places are gone....There are lots of new restaurants and stores....
My son found another person to stand by....I wonder if the food is good?  We had another Pizza night this night...Just can't get enough of the New Jersey Pizza!
It's fun to listen to my husband talk about the cars he likes and doesn't like....It was great to just be able to walk down the streets and remember...How we met....our kids growing up....
It was nice to have time to walk,relax and not have to be anywhere....Make sure if you go on vacation that you don't pack it with so much to do that you don't get to enjoy...We also kept our cell phones off...In fact now that we are home my husband has started to shut his cell phone off more because there is always someone who needs him to do something and I think he liked the slow time of vacation....
I thought this comic store looked cool...I'm not sure my daughter really did though!
What I loved about Somerville was all the old buildings and houses....I'm glad we had such great weather on our trip and that we got time to see the Cruise Night.
G.G.











No comments:

Post a Comment