Sunday, May 3, 2015

Taking the Challenge...Reading The General Conference talks with my family.....

My Church has Conference twice a year, in October and April.  During the two days of conference the Prophet and Church leaders give talks on spiritual things that we should be focusing on.  It's a lot to remember and so afterwards you can listen to the talks, or read them. 
This year in Relief Society with every lesson there is a challenge.  It is usually something to do during the week.  I am not able to attend church every week due to work, but on the weeks when I do attend I write down the challenge and try to complete it.  The challenge a few weeks ago was to read all the Conference talks with my family before October.  To help strengthen our testimonies and family.  Tonight was the first night that we took the challenge.
The First talk that we read as a family came from Women's General Session.  Titled "The Comforter" By President Henry B. Eyring.  I loved the message that we can help Heavenly Father comfort those in need, by reaching out and strengthening others, to help bear others burdens and to mourn with those who mourn. 
I gave a copy of the talk to my children and my husband and told them to read through the talk and highlight anything that spoke to them.  After dinner we all sat and shared one thing that we highlighted and told why we liked that part of the talk.  It was great to see that we each had different things highlighted, and we also had some of the same parts highlighted.  I so enjoyed hearing what my teenagers thought, and was glad they were willing to share their thoughts.
After we finished I told them about the challenge and how I was going to buy 4 conference Ensigns so that each week we could share this experience.  I was happy to find that they were willing to take this challenge with me.  Since moving to Utah we have had a hard time adjusting to all the change in our lives.  Our family time and scripture time has often taken a backseat to all the changes in our lives.  I look forward to this new challenge in our lives that will help us bring the spirit into our house more often and to strengthen our family.
I'm thankful for the inspired Relief Society presidency who came up with spiritual challenges.  I hope to share with you some of the challenges I take this year as I work to grow closer to my Savior.
Hope you had a very wonderful Sunday.
G.G.






No comments:

Post a Comment