Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Retail Therapy....Working in the Garden.....

To stay sane when you work in the retail business you need to have a relaxing hobby.  Mine is gardening.  I love to go out on my days off and weed, plant, and just look at all the different flowers.
When I am not in the garden, I'm reading magazines, and books about gardening or garden themed fiction books.  My Favorite book is Garden Spells.  I'll write about that some other day.
I have learned that I need to take time for myself on my days off...I need to have quiet and rest....And Gardening is a peaceful and productive way to have "me time"...This gives me the ability to go back to work and not get angry when people ask if an item is free because it doesn't have a ticket on it....or to keep calm and not react when a person is yelling at me for a policy I have no control over.  I think of my garden, and take a deep breath and smile.... Reacting only causes people to get angrier.  It is better to have no reaction.
I continually add to my garden.  I'm pleased to have this little patch that will be full of cosmos of varying color and sizes by midsummer/ early fall.  If I had my way there would be no lawn.  I would have paths and different garden patches.  My back yard would be full of colorful flowers and butterflies and bees.  On a limited budget it will take me awhile, but someday there will be more flowers than grass.  I love to start with seeds and watch every stage of the flowers I grow.  I love to be able to look a seedling and know what plant it will grow into.
I'm so thankful for my small garden and the peace it gives to me.  I'm thankful that my husband allows me to slowly take over the lawn with garden experimentation.  I also love to photograph and remember my gardens from year to year.  So that is one way that I keep sane in the crazy world of retail....
G.G.




No comments:

Post a Comment