Thursday, April 9, 2020

Daffodil and Jonquil photos and poems. 4/5/2020

" I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud"
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That Floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd -

A host of dancing daffodils:
Ten thousand dancing in the breeze.

The Waves beside them danced, but they
outdid the sparkling waves in glee;
A poet could not but be gay


in such a laughing company.
I gazed- and gazed- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought.

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,

and dances with the daffodils.
William Wordsworth (1770-1850).

To Daffodils
Fair daffodils, we weep to see
You haste away so soon;

As yet the early-rising sun
has not attain'd his noon.
Stay,Stay,
Until the hasting day 
has run

But to the evensong;
And, having prayed together, we
Will go with you along.

We have short time to stay, as you
We have as short a spring;

As quick a growth to meet decay,
As you, or anything.

We die,
As your hours do, and dry
Away,

Like to the summer's rain;
Or as the pearls of morning's dew,
Ne'er to be found again. 
Robert Herrick (1591-1674)

What Matter if the sun be lost?
What matter though the sky be gray

There's joy enough about the house,
For Daffodil comes home to-day.

There's news  of swallows on the air,
There's word of April on the way,
They're calling flowers within the street,
And Daffodil comes home to-day.

O Who would care what fate may bring,

Or what the years may take away!

There's life enough within the hour,

For Daffodil comes home to-day.
By Bilss Carman

Perhaps you'd like to buy a flower?
But I could never sell.
If you would like to borrow 
Until the daffodil

Unties her yellow bonnet
Beneath the village door,
Until the bees, from clover rows
Their hock and sherry draw,

Why, I will lend until just then,
But not an hour more!
By Emily Dickinson

I'm Dancing with the Daffodils
In spring-time's warm embrace-
With golden hearts and coronets
They're swaying with such grace

Together waltzing in the sun
A wonderful display
Upon a ballroom trimmed with green
On this, a lovely day

Such beauty thus besets my heart
And fills me with delight-
I'm dancing with the Daffodils
Of yellow, gold and white

Their perfume drifting soft and sweet
Across the verdant land-
I long to pluck them from the earth
To hold them in my hand

I wonder if they see me here
Amidst their glowing throng-
I'm dancing with the Daffodils
And singing all day long.
By Valerie Dohren

Sunlight spills

on the hills

Light distils as

gold daffodils.

Despite March chill

in dawn still

burst silent trills:
Trumpet daffodils.

The cherry glow
and lacy frills 
Of daffodils

do all thrill.
Falling dew 
for bees fills

the gold cups 
of daffodils.

The Sun wills 
that Jack Frost bow
to the angels of 
Sweet daffodils.
By Saiom Shriver
Well friends I hope you enjoyed this little distraction of flowers and poetry.
I'm trying to find ways to keep calm while the world is being
changed by the COVID-19.  
I have today off and I'm going to create a little bubble world 
of not watching today.  I hope you are all staying safe and well.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment