Tuesday, April 14, 2020

A Day Date During the Pandemic. Birding is a good way to get out but be socially distant. April 14, 2020

A little over a month ago my husband and I went 
to Farmington Bay after visiting the Airplane museum.
We always try to go on a date every week. 
The next day he got very sick, and a few days later
I had whatever he had but to a lesser degree.  
By the time he felt better, I was extremely busy at 
work due to the panic shopping that came with the Covid-19 pandemic.

It doesn't seem like a month has gone by, but it has.
I was sure in the first few days of panic buying that within a 
month people who had bought all the toilet paper would
be in line trying to return it.  
Here we are a month out and there is still no toilet paper on the shelves.

We spent a quiet Easter at home.  We have lived in Utah
almost ten years now and all our holidays are small because we
don't live by any family.  We don't eat the traditional meals which is probably 
good because this year many people could not get ham or leg of lamb for their Easter dinner.
We had already decided to have pot roast, so the lack of ham did not
cause us any issues.

We are asked to stay home as much as possible.  I checked the website
for the bird sanctuary and found that they did allow people to walk the paths even
though the visitor center would be closed. 
I was so thankful to find a place I could go and walk in nature.

Last month there were only Heron and Canadian geese.
Now there are more birds which was so nice.
I think the above birds are cinnamon teals.

A mallard duck.


It was so nice to walk and watch birds and be in nature.
I'm so grateful for this day and time to relax.




We walked down a nature trail that we had not been on before.
It was a beautiful day and so nice to hear the birds singing and
watching them swim around in the water. 



I had fun trying to get some good photos.
The birds seem to like to thwart me by sticking their
heads in the water just as I am about to photograph them.


I was so pleased to get the photos of this 
American Avocet.





If you go here do the nature trail, it doesn't look like
it is that great at the beginning of the trail, but it is really beautiful
and you end up walking over the water on
a wooden board walk.



There are some beautiful views.


This bird was so intent on it's hunting it didn't even
mind the cars parked on the road with people watching it.




My husband was a real sport in driving the car really 
slowly so that I could zoom in on this red winged black bird.

What I love about going out in nature is seeing the birds
and then learning more about them.


I have no clue what this bird is, I will have to 
get my bird book out and find out.

I am glad to see the birds coming back.  I am glad for spring.
So many of my favorite walking places are shut down, it was nice
to have one place that wasn't.  I don't know what the next few weeks
will bring, but I know that this time we are going through will not last forever.
I am trying to stay positive and trying to do things to keep mentally and physically healthy.
Dates out in nature really help right now.
I have also been reading a lot more than I usually do.
I try to walk at least two miles a day.
I'm also looking to my Savior and reading the scriptures often.
What are you doing to keep positive during this pandemic?
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment