Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Will living without credit cards keep me from over spending?

At day 26 of no credit cards I'm back to searching for website that will help me stick to my goal of not using credit cards. I found an article by CNN Money.com Called "Life Without Plastic." I also found a Family website "Frugal.Families.com" It had a good article about living without credit cards. I think that people who begin to live without credit cards do it because of financial struggle. My husband and I have always been careful with what we bought on the credit cards, but I think the last few years we got a little lax. I think it came from reports I heard that said, "to keep your credit score good you should maintain a balance on your cards."


Perhaps that is true, but I don't like losing money in interest to others. With both of us being paid less, I'm trying to find ways to keep what little we have for savings, and bills. I'd like for us to be able to have some fun times without worrying about how we are going to pay for it.

One thing the articles talk about is that when you shop with a credit card you spend more and are OK with higher prices. I know when I have shopped with a credit card I haven't really looked at the prices. Now that I'm committed to not use the credit card, I'm always looking at the prices and adding up the costs. I'm also looking for the best day to buy gas for the car. Some stations have a cheaper day. I think that this process is going to really help my family. It is hard, but now I don't feel bad saying "sorry we can't afford that." (the link takes you to a church talk about living providently.)It actually shows I care though. Sometimes saying you can't afford something is much better than spending on credit cards and then paying even more for the item as you have to pay the interest too.

I found a cool cooking website today too. I had some bananas that were going bad and decided to make Bananas muffins. The web site is Catcancook.com. Just the name is great for me. As I do so much with the 4-H cat club. The muffins were really good too. I used the full amount of sugar. We like sugar in my house. (that isn't a good thing!)

Moment of Joy:) Chatting with friendly customers. I love my job. Driving my son to the bus stop in early in the morning. I like to have time with him alone, he is such a sweet kid. Spending time with my family. Cuddling under a blanket with my cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment