Wednesday, August 18, 2010

When in doubt, wash or read the scriptures!


Here are some fun quotes from the book "The Abandoned" by Paul Gallico.
Pg. 40. (A little back ground, the cat Jenny is teaching Peter a boy who has turned into a cat the rules of being a cat. This is the first and very important rule for all cats.)
" When in doubt- any kind of doubt - wash!" that is rule #1.... If you have committed any kind of error and anyone scolds you - wash,...If you slip and fall off something and somebody laughs at you - wash. If you are getting the worst of an argument and want to break off hostilities until you have composed yourself, start washing. Remember, every cat respects another cat at her toilet. That's the first rule of social deportment, and you must also observe it. Whatever the situation, whatever difficulty you may be in, you can't go wrong if you wash. If you come into a room full of people you do not know and who are confusing to you, sit right down in the midst of them and start washing. They'll end up by quieting down and watching you.... All you have to remember is rule #1 when in doubt wash." Isn't it amazing how often you see a cat washing. Well I took this to heart yesterday, and while in my down ward spiral of fear, I jumped in the shower to just get away from all the worries. And it worked. Often when talking to friends who have young children, the number one place of escape is the blessedness of taking a shower. I came out feeling clean, and with some ideas of looking differently at our situation. Now if washing does not totally calm you my next suggestion is to read from the scriptures. God will guide you if you seek.






Even my cat understands the need for scriptures; doesn't she look like she is gaining much from just sitting on them? My church has a monthly magazine and I had promised to read from it and talk to the women this Sunday in church about one of the articles. So yesterday as the children swam in the pool I sat reading. So far I've read eight articles. I'm not sure which to pick yet but I did get a lot of spiritual guidance. Here are a few quotes . " Many answers to difficult questions are found by reading the scriptures because the scriptures are an aid to revelation. Insight found in scripture accumulates over time, so it is important to spend some time in the scriptures every day. Daily prayer is also essential to having the Lord's spirit with us. Those who earnestly seek help through prayer and scripture study often have a paper and pencil nearby to write questions and record impressions and ideas." This is something I'm going to be more diligent about doing.
"Each of us will face trials and tests, and as in this simplistic example, it is how we react to those difficulties that will determine our success and happiness . Each of us will face adversity no matter where we are. We are taught in the scriptures that there "must needs be... an opposition in all things. We will each face times of difficulty, and the question is not when we will face them but how we face them. .... We may never know in this life why we face what we do, but we can feel confident that we can grow from the experience. ... All things work together for good to them that love God."
I'm in much better spirits today. I thank those of you who are there to support me. My husbands second day of work went well. He is surviving, and learning. His boss seems kind and concerned that he will make at least 30 hours a week, and I'm sure as he gets used to his work he will continue to do better. I'm finalizing my resume this week, and then next week on my husbands day off plan to go out and start applying for jobs. I have a friend who used to work for Pier 1 Imports and I'm going to ask her to go with me to introduce me to the boss, in hopes of possibly getting a job there. It is close to home, and pays more than the book store. So wish me luck!
















No comments:

Post a Comment