Friday, August 27, 2010

Cool August days make me think about riding horses.

Cool August mornings always make me think about riding horses. In the summer when it's hot, riding is nice, but the best time in my mind is the last days of August. The weather is cool, your boots don't stay stuck on your feet for hours after your ride. Your horse is feeling frisky, not taxed and grumpy. You enjoy that time of being a team, and feel free and wild as you canter about the ring. Oh how long ago it is since I've been on a horse. And yet these past few mornings the urge to ride is in the back of my mind. Up in my attic are all the relics of a teenage love affair with horses. There are Breyer horse statues, and ribbons won at the horse shows. My UVM Horse Club jacket with my name embroidered on it. Someday I'll get myself back to a horse barn. I'll smell that wonderful horse barn smell, and the smell of leather saddles and bridles. I'll hear the nickering of a horse. I'll feel the warm breath from it's nostrils. I'll soak every minute up. If I could go back in time I'd go back to the farm. I wouldn't wish for the day to go fast. I would enjoy every moment as if it was my last

moment, my last day to live. Some days it's hard to realize that I have no one to share this love with. I think that I have buried it so deep in my memory because most of the people I know have no passion for it and wouldn't want to talk about it. Many of the things that I have loved to do, I've had no one to share the memories with. If you don't love horses you can't understand a person who does. If you are not studying animal science, you do not want to hear about it. Many times in my life I've felt that people could not understand me, or those things I have a passion for. It's very rare when I find someone who could talk for hours about horses.
I'm thankful my daughter is in 4-H. I now have an outlet for my passion for animals. I get to teach her 4-H group about cats. At the 4-H fair I got to talk to tons of people about cats and cat care. I could have stayed all day. The other nice thing was that I got to look out and watch all the children riding their horses. I'm excited for the new 4-H season to start. I love to teach, I love to learn about animals. This past spring I took 3 Vet. assistant classes online. I absolutely loved taking them. I got 100's on all the finals. They seemed so easy to me. I know in my future I will end up working at a vet clinic. It is one of my new goals. I need to wait though until my

Husband is more settled in his new job, and the kids are ready to be more on their own. Once these things are in place I will begin looking to work at a vet clinic.
The top photo is of me and Chalice Intrigue he was a horse that I got to work with one summer at the farm I worked at. The middle photo is of me and Andover Windpepper Aka : Andi. She was my horse. I paid $800.00 for her. I owned her for 8 years, and then my parents gave her and their horse away when I got married. Oh it broke my heart. She lived only about 3 years more, the last time I saw her at her new farm she was so ill, I knew she would not live another year. My poor mother when she saw her said she would never have brought me to see her if she knew how ill she was. She was such a beautiful horse. The last photo is of Andi and I jumping. She loved to jump. I was a bit terrified, but jumping on a horse is one of those experiences you just never forget. It's the closest you can come to feeling like you are flying. Perhaps I'll dream of riding tonight. I worked for a Morgan Horse farm. I have some really wonderful memories of that farm, and two scrapbooks filled with photo's. Think I'll go look at them. This year has definitely been a year of looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment