Monday, August 16, 2010

A month of Lasts



Here is a photo of my daughter with her last serving of cotton candy. I should have gotten some for myself, but I did get a few tastes of hers.
As I have been thinking about our life this weekend I find that August to me is a month of lasts! We had our last day at the 4-H fair, with the last of cotton candy. We had a great time at the 4-H fair. Our club won the Judges choice for best display. My daughter got a blue ribbon for her project book.

My husband had his last week of unemployment. His first day on the new job was today. I hope it is all going well. Next week we will have the last day of the pool. Many of the plants in my garden are starting to die. We had most likely our last Saturday at the beach for the summer. Which was wonderful. And this is most likely my last summer without working. I'm sure whatever job I find, I will end up working in the summer next year.
I have started reading a new book it's called "The Abandoned" By Paul Gallico. I don't think the book can be bought at a regular book store. I got mine through Amazon.com. So far the book is very interesting. It has ton's of details about what it might be like to be an abandoned cat. I'm only to the 2nd or 3rd chapter, but there are a couple of great parts already in the book. One part is where a stray cat is teaching a boy who has become a cat all about when and why cats wash. Basically cats wash all the time. The description though was just fun! The other part of the book I have liked so far, is the stray cat telling how she was abandoned by her owners. In this the cat talks about her family history, here is the quote I like " ... I must say it is a comfort to know who you are, particularly at times when everything appears to be dead set against you. If you know something about your forebears, who they were and what they did, you are not quite so likely to give up..." Over the last few weeks I have been working on my family history, and learning more of my ancestors survival stories. Sometimes it helps to make your situation seem less daunting when you learn about how someone ages ago survived the long journey from Germany to America. How people who had practically nothing still kept going and doing. In fact lately just working on family history has been such a help in my life. I love doing research on the computer, finding new people and their stories. It has helped me to stay calm while the rest of the world around me has seemed to be so crazy. I look forward to doing more work soon.

Unemployment world: Well my husband started his new job today. He was so nervous. I'm sure he will do fine, but it is such a change from the job he had. We found out that we are not poor enough to get into the state family health care program which are children are in. So this morning I applied for a cheaper health insurance than what we had. Just pray we don't get hurt or sick for the next couple of weeks. Ugh. I continue to look for work. I'm still trying to figure out the best options for me and the family with my work. Just a couple of weeks and the children will be in school, and then I will start going to all my favorite store and look for work as a cashier or sales associate. Again the hope is to work in a bookstore. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment