Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Keeping Cat's out!


This year one of the things I planted in my garden was Cat Nip. My cat loves cat nip, but guess what so do all the neighboring cats. To make sure that the cat nip survives I have to cover it. My first attempt at keeping cats from eating and rolling over the baby cat nip plants was to use a crate, some cut up milk cartons and cut up plastic cups. The only problem was that I had to take them off each morning and then put them back on at night. If I forgot to cover them at night the next day my cat nip would be crushed and chewed up. After the last time of forgetting to cover the plants I decided I needed a better system.




I went to the local Agway store and bought some wire fencing. My husband helped me to put this fence up over the cat nip. I even put a top on it, because cats can jump and I didn't want them jumping over the fencing and getting into the cat nip. I had read a book from the library I used to work in about cat nip and they had their cat nip plants surrounded by fencing, I couldn't believe you really needed this, but you do. So if you decided to plant cat nip, be prepared to fence it in. You may never see the cats that live in the neighborhood as most come in the middle of the night, but your cat nip will be destroyed by them if you don't cover it. Cat nip can be used by humans. Some people make tea out of it, and some people believe that it helps with upset stomachs. The oil it produces that cats love is actually used by the plant to keep bugs away from it. There has been some thought of using it as a bug repellent. I actually found some sites that tell you how to use it as a bug repellent. They do say that it can be irritating to skin so be careful if you decide to use it.

Unemployment world: My unemployment payments have started coming in. I have been out looking at possible jobs, working on my resume, and some cover letters, and securing my references. I think I'm very much like my husband, I'm over thinking the whole process. He starts his new job on Monday and I'll be glad when that happens. He is so nervous and excited. I'm glad he has been so busy the past two days helping a friend that he can't sit at home and think about it. I would like to work at a book store or as a receptionist. It annoys my parents that I don't try for a bigger job, but being the one who takes care of the children and house, I don't want a job that is stressful. I just want to get out of the house and do something fun. That was why the library job was so great. It was fun, and I did so many things I love to do. Organize, work on a computer, make bulletin boards, and help with crafts. It was just a fun place to be. ( Can you tell I'm still not over it.)



No comments:

Post a Comment