Friday, December 1, 2017

Mom of a Missionary....Emails from Mexico...September 18th

A week of winning (Also VIVA MÉXICO)




 Buenos Tardes, mis queridos. ¿Que tal la chamba?

Hello, Everyone! Elder Bowlby here. It's been a weird week in Mexico due to the fiestas, meetings, and lots of other things that have been going on. I've learned a lot and I'm going to move forward with the things I have learned in mind! Lets quickly touch up on the toughening up.

Rolling around at the speed of sound
We've mostly been running from meeting to appointment to another appointment... and we're not exactly 100% successful but we're putting all of that nonsense behind us! No more focusing on sadness and whatnot. If the day goes bad my companion and I look at it and ask how we can make tomorrow better! Yeah! We're also making an effort to go out of our way and talk to random people in the street, something we havent done in a while. It was the most uncomfortable experience when I walked up to a random woman and offered to help her with her bags... buuuuut she said nothing and looked at me like I was something disgusting. I had a feeling that she didn't want to talk to me.

Helping lift up the fallen
In our ventures around San Felipe, we encountered a family of a woman who, after lots of time, had become inactive from all sort of religion. We didn't even know she was a member of our branch until the second time we met with her, and we certainly will be looking for ways to strengthen her in the following weeks. We're also helping a member named Francisco to overcome his personal weaknesses and come closer to the Savior.

Improvement
Every day is a new opportunity to improve. Taking each day with a new point of view. Still a bit timid with the language but I'm improving my teaching skills bit by bit. Learning to be more humble and patient. I'm also learning to relax a little bit.

I keep winning free foodI don't know what it is with my luck but whenever I pick up some extra cookies or a bag of cheetos I happen to win free snacks/promotional discounts to Burger king. There aren't any Burger Kings here in San Felipe (which is a bummer) but the free sweets are nice. I've saved a few pesos through these little things. It's nice.

As always, I'd like to close with a spiritual thought. I've been re-reading the Book of Mormon from 1st Nephi, and I'm quite astonished how many times Lehi tells his children to keep the commandments of God. I'm only at chapter 5 and I've already marked up quite a bit.
Nephi, being the more righteous of his bretheren, delivers the powerful line:

I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

I really like how willing Nephi is to follow the commands of the Lord, and I also marvel at his faith. He knows without a doubt that the Lord is willing to help him succeed in following these commandments. An example that I am looking to follow each day.


Cuídese mucho,

-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment