Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Mom of a Missionary... Emails from Mexico...October 23rd....

Filled to the brim, and not in a good way.
 Here's a riddle for you.

You can take it sitting or standing,
When it's filled to the brim it's a bad thing,
It moves the people here and there,
and sometimes the cost isn't fare.


Do you know what it is?


ES UN TRISTE AUTOBÚS


(Spoiler alert I didn't take this photo because I would look very weird if I just took photos of random buses (but this is exactly the same type of bus we use here)).

Hello family and friends, it is I, Elder Bowlby once again.

 (Yes, this photo is mine. Taken in Altamira, Tamaulipas.)

The week has been a bit rough on me. I never imagined the mission could bring so much stress! It's a lot to think about, because I'm not only preaching the gospel, I'm also preparing for my future life. If I can't manage the fact that the bus fare is 13 pesos a person, how am I going to manage gas in my own car??
Behind every moment, there is something to learn. I am really going to appreciate all of the things I took for granted in the U.S when I get back.

It's funny, really. When I arrived here I said I wouldn't complain about anything because we have a supermarket nearby.

Now I'm complaining because I've spent all my food money on the B U S and there is nothing to eat 😕
But things like this happen! Don't worry. It's all a lesson about managing money.
Something I'm going to need to learn... and quick!

In any case, we are working, and we are trying very hard to help others.

Your questions answered:

Q: How do you get your hair cut?
A: The same way you normally get it cut. You go to a hair-cut-place and the stylist cuts your hair and you pay them money. And yes, there are people who do it quite well for 50 pesos.

Q: Are your clothes holding up?
A: Yes. They are fine. They're a bit yellow at the neck but my companion says he can show me how to clean that up real nice.

Q: Are you serving with missionaries from other countries?
A: Yes. While there are many missionaries who are serving from various parts of Mexico (my companion is from Merida, Yucatan, for example), there are other missionaries who are from the U.S and also other spanish speaking countries. One of the Elders is from Honduras, another from Costa Rica, etc etc. I actually had the opportunity (because I was asked) to draw all the missionaries from my current zone. Can you tell which one is me?
 Q: Do you ever sit and draw what surrounds you?
A: Recently no. I don't have much time to draw when I'm out and about. I do however, have a pretty nice memory, so when I see something I like in the streets, I can normally put it down on paper when I get back.

Q: Where you live, is there a winter season? How cold does it get?
A:"Winter" here is described as "a few cold fronts here and there". It does not get any colder than a typical Utah spring. I highly doubt I will need any winter gear.

Q: Will you be able to visit the temple in this new area?
A: I was there just this saturday to help with family history work. The temple is a bus ride away, and it actually costs less to take a bus to the temple than it does to take a bus to my proselytising area.

Q: Have you had any new foods to try?
A: I haven't had it yet, but here in Tampico they have something called "Tortas de la barda" which is a specialty Mexican hamburger. I hear it is very good. Everything else is more or less Mexican.

Q: Was the snake in that picture poisonous?
 A: To be brief the snake is the least of my worries right now.

Q: Have you recieved any of my letters yet?
A: Sadly, I haven't recieved your letters yet, Mom. I hope I will recieve them soon, I love the pictures of Salt Lake City that you send.

Q: Do they have fall where you are?
A: No, but there are certain times of the year where certain fruits are available. There are no mangoes in season right now, but there are peaches, I believe.

Q: Who is your companion and where is he from?
A: His name is Elder Estrada from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.


Thank you for your e-mails and your time. I am always happy to hear how you are doing in these pathways of life. Please remember to say your morning and nightly prayers.
God bless you all, and stay safe. You are blessed to live in a promised land.

-Elder Bowlby

P.S These here doritos are delicious and I will do my best to find them in the U.S and we can all enjoy some spice when I get back

No comments:

Post a Comment