Tuesday, July 22, 2014

# Day out with my Daughter.....What Tom boys do....

When I was young I was a Tom Boy..... I liked to hang out in Jeans and a Tee Shirt and work at the horse barn.  When my daughter was young I really thought she was going to be a Girly Girl.  All pretty dresses and painted toe nails.  I worried I would fail her as I really don't know much about nail polish and make up.  But at about 2nd grade all the frilly dresses (except for Sundays) were put aside due to extreme discomfort.  Jeans and T-shirts and baggy sweat shirts all in the color black were the wanted items.  And out of those frilly dresses emerged the next Tom Boy generation.  Her school friends in New Jersey kept trying to convert her to their girly ways but she took no part of it.
So what do Tom Boys do on their days out? These Tom Boys visit the book store.
On our first stop we actually got all our books for free.  What a great deal!

Our next stop was TGI Fridays for a yummy lunch.
Then we went to Karate.  My daughter is known for her "Beautiful Kick"  While sparing her instructor one day she kicked him in the head.  And every now and then he tells people about her "Beautiful Kick to his head"  I'm not sure who was more shocked about the kick her or him.  I see a lot about # Like a Girl.... and wonder why our society likes to think a girl can't be good at throwing or kicking.  Because many girls can kick or throw a lot better than men.
Then after all our adventures we sat down with a buttery bowl of popcorn and watched Sherlock Holmes.  I have to say we have become big fans.  Who can resist a good murder mystery?  Plus my daughter hopes some day to be a forensic investigator.  I have fun reading the real stories and then seeing how they incorporate them into the show.  Although I think they make Sherlock a bit on the weird side in the shows, not sure the book character was ever considered a sociopath.  But still it has been fun to watch.
I have to say that risking my life to have a second child, so that I could have a little girl who would be close to me the way my mom and I were close was worth it.  I love the time we get to spend together, the chats we have as we drive to Karate and sharing similar interests.  I'm so glad for my vacation as I now get to spend the rest of the week with my kids.  They are my treasure, where my heart is.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment