Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I love cook books but I don't like to bake.....How can that be?

When my kids were little they used to watch a show called "Between the lions" and in it they had these Fanny Dooley riddles.." Fanny Dooley likes cook books but hates to bake?  Why is that?  Well I love cook books, as you can see from my photo but really I don't like to cook.  Why I'm not sure.  Perhaps it is because cooking is like a chemistry lab, you have to put a whole bunch of things together and have it come out right.  I always blew up my chemistry labs, and I always seem to burn whatever I'm trying to cook.
This is only one section of cook books that I have, the others are down in my office. The other week my daughter said "Mom, your cook book buying is getting out of hand, especially since you don't cook!  You need to stop buying cook books!"  If you notice most of my cook books have a theme... Simple, easy, for busy families, quick..... I'm always looking for that perfect book that will have the most easy, simple quick recipes that will almost make themselves.  Unfortunately I have yet to find that perfect book.
Most cook books that I use have photo's with every recipe.  I will never have a Rachel Ray cook book as there are no photo's.  If I can't see what it's going to end up looking like, I most likely won't make it.  I like Sandra Lee's Semi homemade cook books and magazines.  But what I have found is that even simple, easy and quick cook books sometimes are more work than I want.
As I was thinking about making this blog, I realized I am just like "Kim Possible"  She can not cook, or at least in the episode "Two to Tutor" she could not cook and Ron of course was an amazing cook.  "Be one with the mixers."  It just doesn't happen well for me. 
And yet this summer I'm embarking on a cooking adventure.  I'm slowly teaching my son how to cook.  And he is doing wonderful, which is lovely because that means less cooking for me.  Of course his favorite subject in school this year was Chemistry. 
So I'll be sharing some of our cooking experiences with you...And perhaps there will be a week where I don't set the fire alarm off while cooking.  Well at least I know that they work right!
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment