Friday, October 25, 2013

Being Thankful During a Time of Stress

This week was very stressful for me.  And in a future blog I'm going to explain.  But this is my Gratitude day, so I will share with you how I handled my stress this week.  First I will let you know that I am facing some medical issues.  As my mother says not knowing what is wrong is the worst.  And this week that was my issue, I did not know what was wrong.  I'm not sure the total of what is wrong yet, but I know a few things that I am not facing.  And that helps.  So I was laying in bed, feeling upset and my husband turns to me and says "It's hard to be grateful when things go wrong isn't it."  Wow.  That gave me a bit of determination.  I was going to find everything I could be grateful for despite my physical issue.  And from that early morning moment on I began to thank God for all the things that were right.  Here are ten things I found to be grateful for.
1. I was grateful I live in Utah instead of New Jersey.  I got all the test I needed done to find out what my problem is in two days time.  If I had been in New Jersey I would have either had to go to the emergency room, or wait days between doctor appointments.  I went to one doctors office and was able to have every test done in one day.  And still be able to go to work that night.  Yes I was exhausted but I went.  There is no sick leave where I work. ( After the holidays I plan to look for a better job. I have a degree and so much experience there has to be something better I can do)
2. I was thankful for the kindness and compassion that was shown to me from every person that I had to work with.  Nobody looked at me and made me feel unworthy of kindness.  In New Jersey we had so many people look at our health insurance and treat us like second class citizens.   The kindness was so wonderful.
3.  I was thankful that my husband was able to take the day off, and hold my hand through it all.  I'm a wimp when it comes to doctors.  It was such a blessing.
4. I thanked God for every part of my body that was working correctly.  That I am not in pain, and that I have strength.
5. I thanked God for all the support of friends with listening ears, and the compassion they gave to me.  For my Mother in Law and a friend at work who are catholic and lit candles and said prayers for me.
6.I was thankful that I work nights.  It was so easy to make appointments and then still be able to work.  I know a lot of people who work days that have problems getting appointments because they work during the time that most doctor offices are open.
7. I was grateful for the book I am reading called "God Winks"  It made me look for things to show me that God was there for me.  And He was.
8.  I was grateful for the symbol of an owl.  A few weeks ago a customer told me that Owls are a sign of good luck.  In every room I was in at the doctors office yesterday there was an Owl.  That was my God Wink that Everything would be OK.
9.  I'm grateful that what I was told I might have was not what I have.  As with high deductible insurance I could never afford to pay for all of the medical bills that would have been incurred, and the fact that I can't afford at this Point not to work.
10.
I was so Thankful that as we left the doctors office the first thing we saw was the spires of a Temple.  I Love The Temple.  I get to go there and be so close to God.  It was as if he was saying to me you are where you are supposed to be and I am here for you.
Sorry no related links this week.  I am tired and work will be long to night.  But I'm grateful for a job, and that I have energy enough to go. 
G.G.
I think I did really well with counting blessings through the beginning of this trial.  I hope I can continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment