Monday, October 14, 2013

The Rescue: It begins with prayer

This Sunday was Fast and Testimony Sunday at Church.  It is a time when members of the church fast and pray and share with each other their testimonies of the gospel.  Our Bishop again talked about the importance of "The Rescue".  I have been reflecting on this for the last few weeks and each Monday I hope to share a bit of what I am learning.
The first step that I have taken in my "Rescue" plan is to study the scriptures related to the rescue.  They are the parables of  "The Lost Sheep", "The Lost Coin", and the "Prodigal Son."  I am very interested in seeing what the Prophets and others have to say about these three parables.
I have decided to start with studying the parable of "The Lost Coin."  I think that my interest in this parable stems back to the first talk by our Bishop on "The Rescue".  In the talk my Bishop gave he likened the lost coin to our ancestors.  He said "The sweeping of the house"  was similar to the searching of the family.  As in the New Testament times when you talked of a persons house it was in reference to their family.  Because I do so much family history research this really stuck with me.  I like the idea that in searching for my ancestors I'm helping in the rescue.
I like the idea that in doing family history work, and Temple work that I am linking my family together and that I can be with my family for eternity.  In reading about the parable of the lost coin I have learned to look at it in other ways too.  One thing is to try not to be like the woman and let any of my living family become lost.  And to also try to be sure to keep those friends who I love strong also so that they do not become lost.  In the related sites section I have provide a link to a talk about the lost coin.  In the talk it say that your search always begins with prayer.  
So this week, I am going to continue to pray about those who may be lost or those I can be friends with to keep them from becoming lost.  I actually had a rescue moment at work last night.  Talking with a friend at work who is returning to church activity.  It was nice to be able to give her support.  One thing I do often is put these people's names on the prayer lists at the Temple.  I look forward to learning more this week.
Related sites:

G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment