Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lets Go Home


One of my favorite children's authors is Cynthia Rylant. She has written many books that I have read to my children over the years. My daughter and I love the Mr. Putter and Tabby books. For anyone who loves dogs there are the Henry and Mudge books. She has lots of books on different subjects. The one I'd like to share with you today is the book "LET'S GO HOME The wonderful things about a house."
A quote from the beginning of the book: " There are many kinds of houses in the world, from little cottages to big mansions, from farmhouses to bungalows. But no matter the kind of house, it is the living inside that makes it wonderful, what happens in each room that makes it marvelous. It is what the house means to those who live there."
I understand this thought of the real identity of a house is what the people in it think about it, and how they decorate it and what type of spirit it brings to those who visit. The book continues to bring you through each room of a house and highlight why the rooms may be special. I think this would be a great book to read to your children and then ask them what makes your home special. What room is their favorite room and why. You could also talk to you children about how you could make your home more of a place of peace and a place where everyone in the family feels welcome and safe.
I found an adult book that goes along with the house is a place of refuge. The book is "SHELTER FOR THE SPIRIT How to Make Your Home A Haven In A Hectic World." By Victoria Moran. I've only been able to read a small amount of this book, but it has helped me to think of my home as a spiritual shelter. A place where you go to be regain your strength and find peace. The author talks of how so often we are running about, and look forward to going away on vacation, only to go away and feel that you want to go home. I know that feeling. When my children and I travel we at first are very excited to be away and yet by the middle of the week, we want to be home, in our own beds, with our routine back to normal.
Lately I've been feeling that perhaps my family might move, that maybe we are supposed to be going somewhere different. And I keep looking about our house thinking can that truly be? I love my house, I've made it just how I'd like it to be (although I'd like it to be cleaner more often). I love my gardens. I love sitting in my Papasan in the sun. I'm not sure that I'd be ready to move. Yet that feeling keeps coming to me. I'm hoping that it passes.
So what is your favorite part of your home? Mine is my living room. The Sun coming in the bay windows, sitting and reading in my Papasan chair. It is a nice place to sit, rest, and talk to my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment