Sunday, January 21, 2018

Mom of a Missionary.... E-Mails From Mexico... November 13, 2017

Nuevo cambio, ya nos vamos!!

 Buenos tardes, amigos y familia. Today marks the start of a new transfer, a new lapse of time where I am to go out and to get to work!

The last six weeks have been a rollercoaster ride. Last week itself has been a challenge, but hey! I'm pressing forward. This is part of life! Woohoo!

I almost lost all my photos to a Virus
Okay, this is a pretty fun story.
Monday we hop into our normal Ciber and we're writing and everything is completely normal up until the point where my companion asks me to take a photo of an important document and send it to him. No problem. I take the photo, connect my camera to the computer and make the necesary preparations to send a photo.

I open up the files on the computer and I can already tell something was fishy. A file named BAT was installed on my SD card that is only used for photos. It was an executable file that opened up any time I tried to access my "photos", which was very strange. Trying to send anything to my companion from my SD card would instead send the executeable file. In a hurry, I asked the owner of the ciber to change my current session to another computer as I assesed what was going on. BAT could not be deleted from my SD card, so I disconnected my camera from the computer, turned it on, and tried to access my photos from the camera itself.

When I tried, the camera merely beeped and said "No Picture!".
I was incredibly nervous. I had all of my photos from my six months in Mexico on this device and a virus just ate them all. Connecting to the other computer, I was pleased to see that there was an antivirus program installed that quickly got to work, eliminating BAT and restoring my photos, locked away in a folder named .Trashed.

Long story short I lost no photos and invented a new cartoon character based on the experience (I'll send the drawings in an art dump).

I almost lost my companion
Please remind me to tell you both parts of the story when I get home it's a pain to type both versions of what happened.

In short: We entered into a Farmacia Guadalajara to buy a quick snack before getting back to work. While I was paying for my snack and waiting for my change, my companion left the pharmacy and began to walk out into the dark streets alone, not figuring out what happened up until he was four blocks away from the pharmacy. He freaked out and thought I had been kidnapped, so he began to search for me and quickly returned back to the pharmacy just as I had recieved my change.
Elder Estrada was not very happy, basically.

I gave a neat talk in sacrament meeting and everyone liked it

I have it written down and I'll share it with you when I get back because it's not the same if you just read it.

That was basically my week. We are very close to getting a house, and bit by bit we are moving forward! We have encountered some really nice people in our area that we hope to start teaching. And I'm very excited to help the work of God push forward! I have goals to better myself this transfer... and It's almost Christmas! Woo!

I'll be sure to send more photos in the upcoming E-mail.
Scripture study tip: Highlight! I'm always marking my scriptures with colored pencils. Every time there is a mention of God or Jesus (or any of their many names) I mark it in a bright yellow. I also mark their words in bright yellow, so I know when they're speaking to us. I mark verses and phrases that I especially like in red so I can always pick them out. Let me share one of my highlighted doctrines with you.
Jacob 1:8
Wherefore, we would to God that we could persuade all men not to rebel against God, to provoke him to anger, but that all men would believe in Christ, and view his death, and suffer his cross and bear the shame of the world; wherefore, I, Jacob, take it upon me to fulfil the commandment of my brother Nephi.

Little treasures like that which you can find in the scriptures. One of the many reasons we have scriptures!

Please stay safe, study hard, and be a better you every day! You are loved.

Ever thankful for your prayers,
-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment