Sunday, January 21, 2018

Mom of a Missionary...E-Mails from Mexico...December 4, 2017

New house, new difficulties!


 Hello, family and friends!

I bring you good tidings of great joy. I'm doing better than last week! Hahaha.

We have finally moved into our new house, Elder Estrada and I. We moved in on tuesday and we were confronted with a load of new problems. Let me list off a few!
1: Faulty lighting. There was only one lightbulb in the whole house and it appears that none of the lightbulb sockets in the salon work. We now have three light bulbs.

2: Faulty electrical sockets! Basically the same issue.

3: Our lawn was infested with burning caterpillars! Yes, you heard that right. If you touch even one of these ugly little spikey caterpillars (that don't even metamorph into butterflies they just stay ugly caterpillars), they will burn your hand with an intense burning pain. It's enough to make a grown man cry. We got rid of them as fast as possible.

4: Our refridgerator didn't work! So we changed it. The neighbors were very kind in guarding our food in their refri so it didn't spoil.

5: Our washing machine doesn't have room to work! So I washed my white shirts by hand (and they came out cleaner than they normally do in the washing machine).

6: The house did not have water! Someone disconnected the mediator to our water pipes (which are blatantly placed outside in our lawn for anyone to meddle with) so we had to buy a new mediator for 23 pesos (and it leaks).

7: The iron refuses to connect to any of the sockets that is not the kitchen socket. Huh! We iron our clothing in the kitchen, then.

But, we now have everything in order. I feel great, and incredibly pepared to move into a house when I'm older! Yeah! I kept returning home dead tired, but wow! What an experience.

I'm going to keep things a bit short today because I'm trailing behind on time. I would like to answer a question I recieved as a result of the horse-dumpster question. Do animals just roam around free where I am?

Yes.

The streets are full of stray cats and dogs (in varying conditions, I might add), as well as (from what I have seen) horses, cows, donkeys, iguanas and chickens. Regarding the stray horses, I had a really strange encounter with two of them this saturday.

We were walking in a fraccionamento late at night contacting houses when we spotted two horses eating from trash bags, and we were like "eh, this is normal". We were pretty close to these horses, I might add, when we saw a little tiny flame hop over a fence and land in the midst of the garbage.
Somebody from the other side of the fence threw over a fire cracker...
and then POW!! The fire cracker blew up and startled the horses and they began to run.

I was super freaked out because I thought "oh no, these horses are going to trample me", but luckily they just ran into the nearby field.

There are plenty of experiences with wild animals out here. Apparently it's not only horses that are eating tortillas out of the trash, but it appears that the cows, cats, and stray dogs have this habit as well. Poor creatures.

There's also the evil burning caterpillars but those are no problem if you have shoes, really.

Overall, I can barely believe it's december! Time goes by so fast. I remember when I was celebrating christmas at home, and now I'm in Mexico. It's astounding! I'm learning a ton, and I'm very glad, despite all the challenges I face.

And yes, we are working much, much harder to achive our goals.

I hope you all are enjoying the thrills and chills of december. If you have snow, enjoy it. I do not have snow, and probably will not see snow up until I return.

I love to read your e-mails and see what you are all doing. I hope the best for you as we move closer to a new year. Do your best and stay strong! Remember to search for the best gifts, physical and spiritual ones.

Love you all! Stay safe and warm.

-Elder Bowlby

I found what I think is a photo of the caterpillar that was in my son's yard.  it is at the top of this letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment