Sunday, January 21, 2018

Mom of a Missionary....E-Mails From Mexico...November 20, 2017

Yet another monday. Hello!

 Short E-mail! Hello family and friends.

Hope all of you in the United States will have a lovely thanksgiving this year. I will not be celebrating with turkey but there's more or less of a chance I will be eating ceviche (a type of Mexican seafood (mariscos!))These past few weeks have been very interesting. Please allow me to roughly quote one of the modern day prophets to sum up what's been going on recently:

"Nothng happens in Missionary work without someone to teach".

For the past few weeks we've been doing a lot of work in our area to find someone willing to hear our message... and we haven't found very many people to teach. This sort of thing happens in the mission, you see. It's without a doubt, a test of my faith. We knock doors and talk to people in the street to see if they'd like to come closer to Christ, but it's very rare that we have a second appointment. To be honest I feel that the experiences I have had in this past week are the Lord's way of saying "you need to be more humble".

Speaking of making changes in my life, I'm trying to counteract my rampant perfectionism. I've been reading a few documents from the mission about how harmful perfectionism is, and I've been trying to avoid it!But when I notice my bad tendencies of perfectionism, I get frustrated with myself because I'm not perfect at not being perfect and the whole cycle starts again.

To help myself I've been setting small goals here and there, hahaha.

Basically we go to our area, talk with people in the street, visit members to share brief spiritual messages and give service, and then go back to our house, sleep, and repeat the cycle. It's a blast.

I'm working more and more to better myself, the church, and the area i'm assigned to. I have plenty more time to do all of that, really... but I'm also trying to fight my procrastination, so lets do that now!

I love you all. Please remember that in this life, we will never achieve perfection. Only through the grace of Christ can we achieve perfection and salvation. Don't be so hard on yourselves! Life is meant to be lived, mistakes meant to be made. That's why pencils have erasers, you know!

-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment