Sunday, January 21, 2018

Mom of a Missionary....E-Mails from Mexico...November 27, 2017

ills, spills, and occasional chills.
 Hello friends and family! Soy yo, otra vez. Bienvenidos a la carta semanal!


I don't have a lot to report this week, other than the insane roller coaster ride I took this week. Uh, where do I begin?

Monday
Monday of last week was normal. We had our preparation day, we e-mailed our families... and everything finished at 9:00 in the house. We bought pizza from dominos!
Well, against my will I spent 100 pesos on Pizza. I had already refused to eat on the grounds that I was not ready to spend my passage money on pizza... but the other Elders had already bought three pizzas. Reluctantly, I decided to cave in and enjoy the moment. It was really good, but I kept feeling that if I kept eating, I would be sick or something. I stopped after three slices and the other Elders finished off the rest.

TUESDAY
It was about 1:00 am and I woke up with a serious stomach pain. I was sleeping on the floor, and I was basically the only one with easy access to the bathroom (thank goodness) and so, recognizing that I needed to get up, I got up, and threw up.

Unfortunately for me, that wouldn't be the first time throwing up that night.
Apparently, the pizza gave me a stomach infection called "gastrointeritis" in spanish, and my stomach went into panic mode and tried to take out everything that was in my stomach (and refused to stop there). I was vomiting every five minutes... and also with diarrhea. My stomach was leaving from both ends of my body, and even after I had vomited up everything my stomach I couldn't stop vomiting. I tried drinking an electrolyte drink to keep hydrated, but it too, left my system after a mere two minutes. In this moment I asked my companions to take me to a hospital (and they did thank goodness I love them). I was very cold. I was hooked up to an IV and recieved medicine, and yeah! I'm all better. Don't worry.

TUESDAY AFTERNOON

So, after the hospital it was decided that I, in the condition I was in, could not go out and preach for two days. Rather than be a burden and force my companion to stay at home too, the Zone leaders decided to send me to the house of other missionaries to spend the night. One of these Elders (a peruano named Elder Chero) was also sick, recovering from a very strong illness that also prevented him from leaving, so I stayed with him for the afternoon.
Oh yeah, and we had to wear mouth coverings to prevent me from catching his illness that was fun.
We played the board game "Risk" with some of our companions that had pity on us and decided to stay the night with the two of us, making it an official ENFERMIFIESTA!
 Risk is a pretty neat board game where you try to conquer the world with little soldiers and it's really fun!
After playing a game (I lost) we went to bed.

Wednesday
Basically I stayed with Elder Chero all day and lost two times in Risk (and we only played two times). We returned to the house and slept.

Thursday
We had interviews with the mission president this day. He said that I'm making good growth and I need to keep pushing onward.
He also said that our area is slacking and we need to pick up the pace. We all resolved this day to correct ourselves and walk more rectly than we had been. I could not eat anything but saltine crackers. No, we did not celebrate thanksgiving.

Friday
We started making changes in our schedule to better ourselves and we're doing great.
Sadly my companion began to have an intense migrane so we returned home early :/

SATURDAY
We worked hard and well this day! Yeah! We encountered a bunch of new people to teach! And it went really great.
 Sunday
A normal sunday. Whew! I can finally eat normal things.

Yeah! That was... fun?
I love you all and miss you dearly. Please visit Mormon.org to find 25 ways you can #LightTheWorld this December by doing 25 different acts of service towards your fellow man. I am very excited for what we will be doing :D

Stay safe, avoid pizza, and remember that you are loved!

-Elder Bowlby

Just a note...I'm kind of glad to only here from my son once a week, as what a worry it would be to know he has been sick and in the hospital.  I guess in this case it was better that I heard about all the issues after the fact...I say a lot of prayers every day for my son, and ask that he is watched over, as that is all I really can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment