Sunday, January 21, 2018

Mom of a Missionary....E-Mails from Mexico...December 11,2017

MexiCOLD
 Hello, family and frieeeeAACHOO!!

Oops. Sorry about that. Guess I wasn't all that prepared for the northern winds that came about this week.

If anyone had told me that I would be cold in Tampico, Mexico... I would have laughed and said they were crazy because when I looked up Tampico online I saw nothing but sand and sun and heat.

My view on everything changed when I found myself huddled under blankets with my companion trying to stay warm one morning. Our already faulty power went out and we couldn't heat up water to bathe with (because we also don't have a boiler and our water comes out freezing cold), so we just resigned and decided to buy hot biscuits and huddle in bed for a bit. All of our milk spoiled and yeah that wasn't fun, but hey! At least my bed is warm.

Apparently, the jacket I have wasn't enough to protect me from the cold. Thankfully, I was given two more jackets by some loving hermanas in the ward... and I still got sick. My companion said it was because I didn't cover myself enough (but I had three jackets on I don't think it was avoidable at that point).

It's been a crazy rollercoaster ride back and forth in between our house and the house of the other missionaries (because, well, we need to eat and bathe), and I'm glad that I'm only mildly sick and not frozen to death (or vomiting). All of you living out there with heat in your homes this winter... you are blessed! It didn't snow or anything here, but wow! I'm so grateful that in the U.S we've got central air and heating and stuff like that. Our house barely managed to stay warm... I hear that another Elder put a hot iron to his bed, ironed it, and then went to sleep on the residue heat.

I'm learning a lot about who I am and how to better do the work of a Missionary. We're also looking for little miracles here and there, whenever possible. All that we can do to see the hand of the Lord in our lives.
We've worked much harder this week, and our faith is still being tried, but we push forward in knowing that we'll remember these moments when we get back home and we will be strengthened for them! Yeah!

So, that's my week, in short. I'm glad that you're reading my e-mails and that I'm in your prayers. I hope that all of you can take time to remember what Christmas is really about. Joining together as a family to celebrate the birth of the Savior of the world. Gods beloved and begotten Son was born for us in Bethlehem, and though He wasn't really born in December, it's not the date that really matters. It's what He did for us that makes the celebrations truly meaningful.
Take some time to ponder the nativity story this week in preparation for the 25th (in just two weeks!)

Love you all,
-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment