Friday, September 2, 2011

Week 3 of Life in Utah, Watch out for hidden sprinklers!

How do they keep things green in Utah? I have found out pretty much by surprise! They have sprinkler systems all over. These little black objects pop out of the ground without any warning and begin spraying the world with water. I walk my daughter to school every morning and the biggest issue we have is avoiding being soaked by a hidden sprinkler system. One moment life is nice and dry and the next you are being sprayed by water! Some mornings as I am walking my daughter to school I'll see the wet grass and think that it must have rained the previous night and then I realize that it was not rain but the sprinkler systems.


I know people watered their lawns and gardens in New Jersey but it was never to this extent. People have told me that you spend more on watering things in Utah, than you spend on air conditioning. It worries me. My house was very small and my electric bill only got to be maybe $70.00 during the hottest of summer months. But I know of friends that paid three to four hundred dollars a month. I can't imagine how much all the watering must cost.


I have been slowly getting used to being in Utah. But there are many moments when I sit in my Papasan and close my eyes and think that I'm back in New Jersey. I'm back where everything



is familiar. I can call a friend and go and visit. And then I open my eyes and realize that it is just a wish, just a dream. Today I went to Kohl's to buy some things for the house. The Kohl's is almost the same layout as the New Jersey Kohl's. And I thought any minute one of my friends would appear. Perhaps Cindy in Shoes or Susan in jewelry. But no. I'm in Utah. It made me a little sad. The store is the same the people are different.


I really like the library out here. You can check out your own books. It's all computerized. The library is a very busy place. I felt comfort walking in the stacks! I got some cook books, and a novel. Many of the people out here are nice. A bit nicer than I'm used to. Everyone wants to know how you are, what you are doing. I'm not used to cashiers and bank tellers asking so many questions. New Jersey people just aren't that way. Everything is rushed. Everyone wants you to move along. Here it doesn't seem that way.


Well those are my thoughts today. The kids are doing well. They are happy to not hear curse words all the time at school. They are making friends, and enjoying swimming in the pool. I sometimes wonder why, why are we here? I can only hope that our house sells now. My husband is making his last drive out with the rest of our stuff. I'm glad more than I thought is fitting in the apartment. I don't know that I miss my house so much as I miss my garden. I try not to dwell on it. I just look at others peoples gardens and hope that Heavenly Father will bless my family with a new house sometime where I can garden. Right now I'd be happy with a good job. Hope you have a good weekend. I have some books I want to share with you soon. I read "Garden Spells" again. It's one of the only books that I find I can read over and over. I guess I need to find more books with magical garden themes. Isn't there something just wonderful about gardens? Hope to share more of my findings, and questions about Utah soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment