Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dimple Dell Park, our first family adventure in Utah!

In New Jersey it took me awhile to go out and check out the parks.  As we began our  move I made the decision that I would not wait to find some great parks to check out and go for walks at.  Of course our favorite park in New Jersey was Dukes Park.  It had paved walk ways.  Well today my family took our first adventure out in the wild lands of Utah.  Or at least it felt wild to me.  We went to Dimple Dell park.  This is a very big park with lots of dirt trails.  We started up on the top of the park and descended down to the bottom where their is a dried up creek.

My husband and the kids had a great time looking for living creatures.  We saw lots of big black beetles, and dragon flies.  Thank goodness we did not see any snakes, or scorpions.  I'm not sure they really live in this area, something I need to look up.  Some of the locals that were on the trail said that it would be very rare to see a rattle snake in this area.  That made me feel much better.  He did say you might see a water snake but they  are much smaller.  I stayed on the path.  My adventurous family left often to investigate.
I'm not sure what these flowers are.  I think they might be wild sunflowers.  You see them everywhere right now.  I think they are very pretty.
Here we are on the path I thought we were going to follow.  The nice "Wood Trail" .  But no we had to go on the paths that went all over the place, through mud, and pricker bushes.  Adventure!  My husband thought it fun to walk behind me and throw little pebbles and see me jump thinking a snake was out in the grass.  My son loved looking at all the rocks hoping to find a dinosaur fossil.  My daughter liked to lead us on the winding ever changing trails.  I was glad we got back alive.  We did see alot of horses too.
If you are new to Utah or visiting and want to know about trails in the area the book to get is " Hike Trails (& walk paths) In Salt Lake Valley.  By Howard L. Nuttall.  Someone gave us this book as a gift and I'm going to use it alot!
We also have found a favorite ice cream shop.  Farr's Fresh.  You get to fill your own ice cream bowl and put your own toppings on.  You pay by how much your cup of ice cream weighs.  I tried the Pumpkin Pie Ice cream.  It was actually very good.  I think my daughter likes to make her own bowl.  I was surprised she could eat all that ice cream.  But she did.  She also likes that she can get mini marshmallows and M&M's on top.
Have a great weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment