Friday, September 16, 2011

UTAH CURIOSITIES...What I'm learning about my new home!

So when you move to a new place how do you learn about the new world around you?  Go to the library and take some books out on your new state.  I got the book :"Utah CURIOSITIES.. Quirky Characters, Roadside oddities and other offbeat stuff.  By Brandon Griggs.   Here are some interesting facts I have learned:
1.  When the Mormons first settled out here in 1847,  they called their provisional state "DESERET"  Deseret is a book of Mormon term meaning "honeybee."  I didn't know that.
2.  Up on the mountains you see these big letters.  I asked my husband what are those letters for?  The book gave me the answer.  In Provo you see a big "Y".  The letter was built in 1906, it represents Brigham Young University, which students and alumni call "the Y" for short.  The "Y" is 320 feet high it's the largest in the nation.  50 miles north there is a big "U"  For the university of Utah.  From what I read there is a big rivalry between the schools.  To the students the letters are symbols of school pride. 
3. I have finally learned where the numbered street system came from.  It is very hard to figure out the streets here, and then people shorten the numbers also.  Go down 7th east,  there's a 700 east where's the 7th?  Well they all just take the zero's off.   It all boils down to Joseph Smith.  And I was told by other's Brigham Young, but guess he was just following orders.  So Joseph Smith decreed that all Mormon settlements should be laid out in a numbered grid with a temple in the center.  Brigham Young, followed the Prophet's order when he got to Utah and established the street system in Utah shortly after founding Salt lake city in 1847.  Another thing if there is a town that was settled by people other than Mormon's in Utah, you know because the streets are not done by the grid system.
Well I hope you enjoyed reading a little of what I'm learning out here in Utah.  And for my mom " Yes there are tree's and grass and flowers.  And it is even raining today.  I hope tomorrow is nice, I want to get out and take some new photo's.  We are hoping to go to the Dimple dell park.   I hope to share more of what I have learned soon. Have a great weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment