Sunday, December 16, 2018

Mom of a Missionary. Emails from Mexico, November 19, 2018.

It's Sugar-Cane Season!

The cold of Mante was bruptly interrupted by sugar-cane season here in Mante. I think two times per year, there's a bunch of people with their huuuuge trucks that go out and haul sugar cane to burn it. It's what makes Mante an infamously hot area in the mission because the times to burn the sugar are in May and November, more or less. We saw all the smoke rising up into the air... it's incredible.

This week... well, I've been working on a little project that's called "Choose to be happy!" Yes, one can choose to be happy. The circumstances might be bad, but one chooses how they feel! I uh, did well for the majority of the week. I'm not perfect, but this week will be better! When one chooses to be happy, it really makes a difference in their life.

We had stake conference here in Mante and many of the themes revolved around the fact that God has not abandoned us! He is ever aware of us, he loves us, and wants us to succeed, be happy, repent, and return to him. Not always an easy feat, but it is made possible when we believe that it is what Christ desires of us.

Thanksgiving is coming up. No, I probably won't be celebrating. There is no thanksgiving here in Mexico, it's a purely American Holiday. 

Other than that, we are planning a baptism for this saturday, and we hope all goes well. :)

Here's a scripture I liked from my studies recently: Alma and Ammon, once sinners and seekers of the destruction of God's church, repented and served missions. Many years later, they have a re-encounter after much success, and the scriptures say that Ammon collapsed because of they joy he had, knowing that Alma was still faithful and that he too had much success in the work of the Lord. The english scriptures read this:
Alma 27:16
Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness.   

Now the scriptures in spanish are very clear to me, I think I understand them better than the english versions! The spanish scriptures say that those who recieve this immense joy are those who truly repent and humbly seek happiness. It's amazing! We can all recieve this peace that comes through Christ.

I love you, I hope you all stay strong and that you're all happy. Enjoy Thanksgiving! Eat some turkey (or steak, or ham, or whatever you normally eat at thanksgiving) but roll it up in a tortilla for that authentic mexican feel because you can put anything in a tortilla and it will be some form of taco. By the way, I have no idea how many tacos I've eaten. Sprinkle a little bit of lime juice on it. Good tacos.

-Elder Bowlby

We don't do a big Thanksgiving dinner, and so we made steak for dinner and I made a steak taco and put lime juice on it.  I sent a photo to my son so he would know we were thinking of him on Thanksgiving day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment