Saturday, April 25, 2015

I've Gone Seed Crazy This Year......

Every time I go to the store I buy a packet of seeds or two or three...OK maybe it's four because they have these buy one get one 1/2 off deals...which I know isn't really the greatest deal...but please it's just seeds.
The photo's on the seed packets they call to me...Look...Your garden could look like this...You could have these flowers...They are so pretty!    So I take a few seeds home and put them aside for a day when I can plant them.
I'm reading this garden book, and the author talks about how seeds are little living organisms..  She list all the things you are supposed to do with the seeds once you buy them....Things I've never done...and have no time to do.  In New Jersey I just opened the packets and threw the seeds into the garden.  Then watched and waited for them to grow.  Everything grew in that garden....My father would say it was because of all the toxic chemicals in New Jersey...He didn't like New Jersey...I hadn't ever really thought of seeds as living organisms before... Maybe that is why my cat wants to attack the packets.  There is something living in here...I'm going to get it....
I think what she likes is the rattling noise the seeds make in the packets.  She is such a helpful garden companion.
This year I have been using the little Jiffy green house starter kits to grow seeds.  Because I don't have much luck getting seeds to grow in my Utah garden.  I throw seeds out there and nothing comes up..Perhaps the New Jersey soil was toxic...or maybe it was full of all the good things seeds need to grow... The one thing I've learned so far is don't put different seeds in the same green house, they don't germinate at the same time and that causes problems.
Add warm water to the tray, and the pelts magically grow...

Is this a treat...Milk?? Just water! It is fun to watch my cat investigate all that I'm doing...
Put the seeds in, it says to put three seeds int each little section, I put one in, because I hate having to kill the little seedlings when they all come up...And you are supposed only keep one of the three... Makes me think of the song "Faith is like a little seed....if planted it will grow."
Put the cover on, place in a warm sunny spot and wait.....Wait.....Wait......
A few days or weeks later...Seedlings....Take the cover off and wait....Wait...Wait....
Baby plants...My bedroom window sill is now a home to many baby plants waiting for the perfect time to be put into the garden.  I'm nervous about this next step, taking the plants out and putting them in the garden.  Will they survive?  Or will they die?  I could have a really great garden or a garden catastrophe!  We will see.
My husband thankfully has been very tolerant of my garden craziness.  I'm not sure what he is going to do when there are more little baby plant cups in the bathroom window, and along the kitchen window, and the dining area window.  I still have lots more seeds to plant...
Happy Gardening.
G.G.










No comments:

Post a Comment