Thursday, June 12, 2014

# Throw back Thursday.....For the Love of Horses....could my love of horses be part of my DNA?

I think the first word I spoke was horse.... my earliest memories are of wanting a horse or perhaps even wanting to be a horse.  In fact a few weeks ago someone at church asked people to say what they dreamed of being when they grew up.  I remember thinking...I wanted to grow up to be a horse... and then realizing at some point that could not happen I wanted to grow up and have a horse farm.
I have just finished reading a wonderful book for the second time called "The Winter Sea" it brings up the thought that perhaps we can remember things from our ancestors pasts, and perhaps our DNA contains memories from them that get passed down to us.  As I've been organizing my family history photo's I've come across many with horses.  Could my love of horses be handed down from previous generations?

Here I am with my mom and brother, perhaps this is one of my first horse back riding experiences.
My mom loved horses too.
 Her Grandfather Boyd loved his team of logging horses.
Her Great Grandparents on the Eastman side of the family also from this photo look to have loved having horses.  They were also big into farming.
My great grandmother Bessie Kimball Eastman also looks to have had a love of horses.
And these distant ancestors who were some of the first women to settle into sod huts in Nebraska also look to have a love of horses.   How fun it must have been to ride out in the open space of the west.
And so as I look back on my past...and my love of horses I see a connection with those who went before me.  Perhaps in Heaven we will all saddle up and go for a wild ride.... Because I doubt I'll be riding a horse again on this side.  Well perhaps just in my day dreams.....
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment