Thursday, June 2, 2011

How the Great Recession has changed my families life.

The flowers that go with this blog today are lilies. Highly poisonous to cats, but beautiful to behold. You wouldn't think from the first few photos that something so beautiful would come from something that looks pretty plain and then pretty weird. But they do. So enjoy.


I've been contemplating how the Great Recession has changed my life. When it all started a few years ago I was just applying for a position as a library assistant at my daughters school. I had volunteered for a year because the position got cut due to budget cuts. You would have thought that because they brought the position back it would be safe. But a year later I found out




that was not to be the case. The lowest always go first. Way back then though I worked on a school project for the PTO called after school activities. The year before the activities would fill up fast and we would have tons of people to call and say, you didn't get in. The year the recession first hit the enrollment started to go down and we barely filled the activities. I told the people I worked with we should do less activities as it seemed people were struggling to be able to sign up due to the economy. No one wanted to listen to me, but I know I was right. Soon the teachers took over the program because they were upset that I




wanted to do activities every other month instead of every month. They wanted to make more money, but I could see that was not going to happen. In the end they stopped the program all together.



The recession next hit when my husbands boss could no longer pay our health care. He didn't tell us, we just got a letter saying our health care was cancelled. So I began to always deposit the pay checks in the savings account encase they became bad. The Health insurance no health insurance went on for quiet awhile. That was not fun.


Then in January of 2010 I found out my job as library assistant was being eliminated. It wasn't a school district decision, it was a state wide school decision. This was followed by watching so many co-workers lose their jobs. People were always crying in the halls. It's hard to know your job is ending and yet still have to work for 6 months. Especially when you don't want to lose your job. It's harder still to listen to those who are staying making plans knowing you won't be there. Yet looking back I'm glad I left because I would never have experienced my new job if I

hadn't left. And I've loved all I've learned. Soon after I lost my job, my husband lost his job. He had been looking for a new job for months, but hadn't found one. The job loss for him was much harder. He went through a depression. Although he found a new job rather fast, the job was hard, and paid very little. I often wonder if he had chosen the other job where we would be. As he got 3 offers at the same time. And now my husband has a new job in a different state. We are moving. This is something we never thought we'd ever do. This great recession as it is called has certainly changed my life. I'm not sure if it is for better or for worse. I tend to try to make the best of every situation. Has it changed your life? Well my husband came home this past weekend. It was wonderful. He is so much more his old self. It is much harder now to be away from him. I tell him each day apart is one more day closer to being together. I'm working hard to clean out and pack up my house. What a task. I've already donated tons of clothing, given away tons of stuff to different friends and thrown out at least 50 bags of garbage, and that's just from my attic. I can only hope this move will be one that brings us to a more stable life, and that we will find ourselves thinking back and saying this was a good thing. I have to say there are moments where I become absolutely terrified. That is when I just focus on the moment at hand and think of nothing else. Finish what is there in front of me. Here are two songs that help me.









Enjoy!



































No comments:

Post a Comment