Saturday, September 16, 2017

Mom Of A Missionary ....Letters from the Mission Field...June19th....

Hello Everyone! Elder Bowlby here, feeling much better than I did last week.

After a bit of time, the bumps on my hands went away. I was talking with a member about it and they said that it was just a reaction to the water that I use to bathe, wash my hands, and the water I had been using to clean off my retainer. Who would have guessed?
(Here's a picture of me with a fruit that is growing in a members yard. It's called a "Yaca". The thing is bigger than my head!!)

Things are alright here in San Felipe. We've been working hard, contacting, giving follow ups to people who seem interested, and we've also been working with the less active members... unfortunately we're not having much success in finding new people to teach. Since San Felipe is so small, most people have heard the message/met with the missionaries before. Most people that recieve us just like our visits and/or don't want to be rude by rejecting us. Another problem I have is that I am way too timid and often afraid of talking to the people (Ironic because I considered myself excellent at speaking the language in CCM. How the Lord is able to humble his servants is quite amazing). So I am learning to open my mouth, and have faith that the Lord will be able to fill it. Ever so slowly. Remember, no effort is wasted. The only wasted effort is the effort that is not made.

Another thing I am learning more about is an understanding of forgiveness and the Saviors atonement. ​A lot of times I beat up on myself for my mistakes, but I am learning to put the worry aside, forgive myself, and have faith that the Lord is willing and ready to forgive me of my mistakes. Nobody is perfect, and I'm learning that one day at a time.
We had divisions this past wednesday and I ventured to Huejutla for a night. The Elders there have a view from above a pizza joint.)
Oops! Looks like technology doesn't want to work with me today. Oh well.

Other than what I sent, San Felipe is rough. But if I work hard here, I'm sure that other areas will be a breeze. There's a lot to learn from bits and pieces that are rough. You learn to appreciate the things that are nice and smooth. 

I don't have other photos to share, nor do I have many drawings. I've been working so hard that when I come back to the house and have my hour-or-so of personal time, I sit out on the ledge of our house (because we live in a second story, but it's far too small to be called anything like a porch) and drink chocolate milk and eat cereal. 

Whatever happens in this next week, I will be ready to work harder than I did this past week! If it means that I have to give five talks in sacrament meeting this week, well, I won't exactly be the happiest missionary but I'll give five talks. (I gave one this past week and It went alright for my broken spanish).

And as always, I will close with a spiritual thought from my studies of the week.

Helaman 3:26-30
26 And it came to pass that the work of the Lord did prosper unto the baptizing and uniting to the church of God, many souls, yea, even tens of thousands.

27 Thus we may see that the Lord is merciful unto all who will, in the sincerity of their hearts, call upon his holy name.

28 Yea, thus we see that the gate of heaven is open unto all, even to those who will believe on the name of Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God.

29 Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked—

30 And land their souls, yea, their immortal souls, at the right hand of God in the kingdom of heaven, to sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and with Jacob, and with all our holy fathers, to go no more out.

Family, friends, and fellow servants of the Lord, may we not forget that the Savior is willing to forgive and to redeem those who call upon his name and lay hold upon the word and the work. Missionary work is our opportunity to give unto others the chance to experience the redeeming love of Jesus, who is the Christ.

God bless all of you. I miss you all dearly, but my work here is not done yet. 

Officially (and only) 22 months left.

Until the next e-mail,

-Elder Bowlby

No comments:

Post a Comment