Thursday, August 7, 2014

# Throw Back Thursday....Summer was always Pools to me

When I was young I spent my summers at my grandparents house swimming in their big in ground pool.  My brothers and I had a great time running down the hill and jumping into the deep end.  As August rolled around and it got cooler out we spent less and less time in the pool, but still loved every minute we had swimming.  In New Jersey we were blessed to live by the local kiddie pool.  The above photo is of my daughter with one of the multiple sets of goggles we had.  My job was to tighten and loosen goggles all day long.
Oh how I miss those lazy pool days.  We would be the first family to arrive at 10 am., leaving at noon for lunch and then returning for crafts and more swimming in the afternoon.  The kids had their first swim lessons here, and it was just a great way to cool off on hot humid days.
The pool was so close to our house that we just walked back and forth each day.  We called it "The Long Walk to the Pool."  Each year counting the steps to get to the pool.  Each year a little taller and a little more confident in our swimming abilities.  At some point the goggles and flotation devices were left behind.
And then the beloved crafts.....became boring...
Sun bathing and games became the new cool.......
My kids for those 10 years of time were little fish in the summer who grew into mermaids and sharks.  And it was wonderful, and now in the busy whirl wind of 40 hour work weeks and teenage craziness, I often ponder the beauty of the kiddie pool days.  How thankful I am for those lazy stay at home summer days, how I wish I could step back in time and just soak up that sun once more, the fixing of the goggles would be such an easy task that would not cause me any annoyance at all.  Because I'd live in that moment more fully and realize little children grow up too fast.  And I'd hold them that much tighter.  Though I do have to say, I enjoy my teens they are wonderful and I wouldn't trade these moments either.  Because I have wonderful children. And wonderful pool time memories.  That is one thing I miss, days at the pool.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment