Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Retail Reality: A Case of Mistaken Identity

A Case of Mistaken Identity.
In my many years of retail I've noticed that people tend think that those working in retail are the lowest, stupidest beings on this planet.  It seems to me that when a person walks into a store they automatically assume the people working there are way below them.  This first came to my attention while working in the banking industry.
     We had this elderly gentleman who would come in and tell every teller and new account associate his whole college background.  How he had a degree from some prestigious college, had started his own business and was just that much better than all that worked in our little bank branch.  Those who kissed his feet and acted like they cared got all his attention and treats every Christmas.  We actually had one new account associate who was really good at kissing up to this man.  It made me sick.
     The truth of it is that most people working in retail are actually pretty well educated, and are just trying to add a little extra to their monthly income because of a horrible economy.  Most people are two job workers. They have their forty hour a week job, and then they have their night time retail "help me survive" a little better job.  The people I used to work with were accountants, school teachers, retired managers from other companies, bank managers,and social workers.  Many are also women who used to be stay at home mom's who now want to get back into the working world. Yes there may be a few associates that are not the smartest, brightest people in the world, but does that mean that anyone has the right to make them fun of them, or treat them unkindly?
    It is funny how customers also try to tell certain associates that they are two smart to work retail.  In one store I worked in the customers were always trying to get our resident Psychologist to leave and work for them.  You are too smart to be working here.  They constantly had to tell customers that it was their choice to work at the store, they were just getting added income as they built up their own business.
   Why did I initially work in retail....I needed a job that was flexible, where I could work nights and I could ask for days off when my kids had concerts and school programs.  Most office jobs don't let you have that flexibility.  As long as I knew two weeks in advance about something I could have a day off.  The flexibility and the people I worked with made it worth it.  Even though many nights I felt like I had a big "L" stamped on my face "LOSER".... Yes somehow people just assume that if you are in retail they have to explain things to you slowly... I     am      returning   this    item    ...... ( well duh, you are at the return center......)
   Any ways if you happen to shop at night, realize that many night workers in retail, are actually someone who is working two jobs. Have some compassion for them, treat them kindly and be glad that you are not in their shoes. Many work two jobs because their first job hasn't given them a raise in 5 or 6 years.  You never know you could be the next person desperate to make an extra dollar to support your family and find yourself in the "Crazy world of Retail...."
G.G.
If you have to work two jobs to support your family what jobs do you have?  Have you ever felt like customers treat you like a second class citizen?

No comments:

Post a Comment