Thursday, September 5, 2013

Grow Old Along With Me 17 Years of Marriage (Part 3 An Eternal Marriage....)

As happy as my wedding day was, there was one bleak out look.  My husband and I were married only until  " Death do you part"    Deep down inside I know that we are more than the people we are today.  Deep down I wanted more than just this life.  We had a "Civil Marriage"  because we are the first members of our family to have joined "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."  We did not want all of our family to be upset that they could not go to our wedding.  It was a very hard decision as I would have liked to just go to the Temple for our marriage.   My husband was right though, it would have caused a lot of hurt feelings.
On November 2nd,1996 my husband and I went to the Washington D.C. Temple and were sealed for Time and All Eternity.  I knew in my heart that I had found what my soul has always told me was true.  Life exists beyond this world, and I wanted my best friend to be with me always.  Looking back on it, I realize that I did not fully understand all that went on that day.  I'm thankful now to be living in Utah and able to attend the temple regularly so that I can learn more about the world and the eternities beyond.
Over the past few weeks of looking at old photo's and remembering our wedding day and sealing day I have learned an interesting fact.  The song that I loved for our Wedding "Grow Old Along With Me."  Was taken from a poem by Robert Browning.  During our sealing the person who sealed us read a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  Two poets who were in love.  Their love story is very interesting.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Elizabeth Barret Browning.

Those who love with all their hearts don't just love for this life.  They love forever.  I can not imagine a day with out my husband, how could I survive an eternity with out him.  A few weeks ago we went to the temple to do sealings for the first time since we had been sealed in the Temple.  It had been a desire of mine for so many years to go back and do this.  It was so wonderful to be able to think about our special day while doing this.  I gained a wonderful testimony that day of how important this ordinance in the temple is.  I am so thankful for the wonderful blessing of being sealed to my husband for eternity.
Related Sites:
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment