Thursday, September 19, 2013

Seek ye not the great and spacious building.....Draper Temple makes me think of Lehi's vision of the tree of life.

My favorite Temple to attend is the Draper Utah Temple.  I think it is because of all the symbolism that I draw from it.  First it is up on a mountain which I love.  Many of the prophets went up to the top of the mountain to receive instruction from God.  I also love all the paintings in the Draper Temple.  I can go there and sit in a room and feel as if I am back in the mountains of Vermont.  I know that the art work is actually depicting places in Utah, but they are so similar to my mountain home of Vermont that I so love it.  Something else that I love is the symbolism I have found at the Draper Temple that reminds me of The Book of Mormon Prophet Lehi and his dream of the Tree of life.
In Lehi's dream he walks along a path that leads the tree of life.  The path is narrow and along the path it is dark and one could get lost easily.  I know there there is a scripture that says "Strait is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to life."  As I walk towards the temple I often follow this path.  It is brightly marked with white paint, and leads straight to the temple.  There are no curves or twists.
In Lehi's dream there is an Iron rod that those going to the Tree of Life cling to.  Actually some people cling to it, others hold on loosely and others walk beside it.  On the way to the temple there are also Metal guard rails near the stairs to hold on to.  As I walk by I ask myself am I clinging to God's word? Or am I not doing so well this week.
So to get to this Temple, you walk on the narrow path, with guides to help and you enter in through a gate.  Once in the gate you find a beautiful garden.  Yesterday there was a humming bird among the flowers.  I often think on entering through the gate, that I never want to be locked out.
Here is a photo of one of the gates you enter to get to the temple.  There are such beautiful views from this temple.
When you enter the Temple, you leave the world and all it's cares behind.  You go to learn about God, and to pray, and feel peace.  The Tree of Life is a symbol of God's love.  In the Temple you find peace and feel the love of God.  You are strengthened.  I have read a wonderful book called " Lifestyles of the Great and Spacious, Finding Your Path in Lehi's Dream." By John Bytheway.  I loved what he said in the book.  "When you are in the Temple you are in "The Real World"  because the Temple pertains to Eternal things.  I often go now and think of how lucky I am to be able to spend time in the "Real World"  because sometime the world outside the temple is very hard to be in.
When I leave the Temple I see the other part of Lehi's dream.  I see the Great and Spacious building.  As I head along the path back to my car and look up I see the huge houses across the street.  Across from an eternal view of life, is the riches of a fallen world.
In Lehi's dream he saw a great and spacious building floating in the air as if it had no foundation.  This huge house seems to do that.  It is so big.  I can not comprehend why anyone needs a house so big, what the cost may be to have it, what a huge amount of money you must need to build, and furnish such a structure.  From with in the building in the dream are people who point to those across the way at the tree of Life.  You never learn what they are saying, but it causes some to leave the tree and be lost in mists of darkness.  I often wonder are the people who attend the Temple and upon leaving,  looking up to see this giant building and wondering, why after all the work I do, all that I give can I not be as blessed as those in the great building across the street.
I don't know who owns these great buildings, They probably don't realize that they have built a great example.  You walk out and look up and think am I clinging to God and his ways or am I heading off to the great and specious building.  Do I look to be more spiritual and closer to God, or do I look to be more worldly?
 Each day you have the choice to move along the path, you can move toward the Eternal, or you can move toward the spacious building.  To get to the spacious building at some point you have to get off the path and wander further and further away from the Temple.  But each day it is your choice to make.
I have to say that I like to leave and be reminded of Lehi's Dream.  It helps me to think to be more thoughtful of the choices I make.  I love attending the Temple.  I love that I have the time to go and learn each week.  I would not give that time up for a big house or more worldly things.  In the eternities I will  much rather feel good that I worked hard and had less in this life than to have gotten everything here and have missed my chance at an eternal life with God.
Have you thought lately of where you are on Lehi's path?
Related Sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment