Thursday, November 15, 2012

Family trips... GG goes to Arizona Part 1

This past weekend my family drove 12 hours from Utah to Arizona.  It was a surprise trip to my brothers to celebrate my parents 33 wedding anniversary, and have a family Thanksgiving.  I was amazed by the beauty of the desert.  This photo was taken looking out a small window on the Glen Canyon Bridge.  The Bridge was so high up that no matter how much you walked when you looked down it seemed as if you were still in the same place.  We liked the fact that there was a big metal fence all along the bridge.

Just awesome views.
Here is my daughter by the fence.  It was actually very cold out.  I had thought that it would be warm being in the desert, and being in Arizona.  But it was cold, so we weren't dressed well.  On the trip down we ran into a rain storm, wind storm, sand storm, and we drove through herds of tumble weed.  When we finally found civilization (because most of the trip it was just us on the road in the desert) my husband was commenting on all the people with tumble weed stuck on the front of their cars.  Well when we got out to eat we had the same thing.  Masses of tumble weed all through the front of the car.
Here is the Glen Canyon Dam.  Over there if you could zoom in there is a Seasons Greetings sign on the top of the dam.  I didn't expect so much beauty in the desert.  I just thought I'd see alot of sand.  But there was so much more.  Different colored rocks, cliffs, vegetation, and wild life.
This is another photo near the Dam.  Over the years my husband and I have done tons of road trips in the east.  We have gone to cape cod, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, and of course the Jersey Shore.  We never thought we'd do a road trip in the west back then.  We kept telling the kids look, look at that.  Look see the beauty.  I hope we get to do another trip, and that I think to take more photo's.  I'm waiting for my parents to send their photo's to me to show you the Cati's that we saw.  Cati's are just cool.  On my next post I'll show our family photo's and talk about family trips.
I kept thinking of my ancestors on this trip.   All the travel that they did, I wonder what they thought as they came off a boat from England and saw America for the first time.  I wonder what they thought as they traveled west in wagons and on foot.  Were they just as amazed by the beauty of the world as I was this past weekend?
My new goal is to finally get my self more organized.  I've been slowly going through tubs of family history research.  As I have started putting everything on ancestry.com I've been thinking I should write all the stories I've collected on there too, and put all the photo's on.  I've been a bit scattered since the two moves we've done and I'm starting to feel a bit more settled.  Of course busy season at the store is starting and I work till one or two in the morning, so we will see what I really get done.
I hope you enjoyed the first of my road trip blogs.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll get another blog in tomorrow.  I also want to start writing my book.  I'm not the greatest writer so it will take awhile.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment