Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Learning to be better from Nephi

The snow covered mountains are so beautiful here in Utah.  This past week I have been reflecting on the past few years.  In January of 2010 I learned that I was to lose my beloved library job.  I was heart broken.  I couldn't foresee what the Lord had in store for my family.  By July of 2010 not only had I lost my job, but my husband had lost his as well.  We were about to face some storms in our life.  I feel that we were pretty prepared for these storms.  I had always saved money for a stormy day, though I think now you should save for a stormy season.  I'm not sure we were prepared for the storm to last so long.  Both my husband and I found new jobs.  My husbands job though was very tough and paid very little.  It was a struggle to make ends meet, even with our savings and food storage.  By January 2011 things were looking bleak for us.  My husband was very beat up by his job, he was to me going through an emotional crisis.  We were running out of savings, we were seeking help where help could be given.  My husband was looking for a new job, but was not having good luck.  It's hard to look for a new job when you are working 50 hours a week.  And to top that at 50 hours a week he was still barely making any money. I had faith though that the Lord was there blessing us.  That we would eventually be through the trial and on to a better out look on life.
Little did I know what changes the Lord had planned.  I had felt since October of 2011 that my family might move.  It seemed that is what the Lord kept telling me.  But I had no clue as to where or when.

I love to look at the mountains with the clouds about them.  I am in love with these mountains.  My daughter says it's because it reminds me of Vermont.  I'm not sure if that is the truth but perhaps she is right.  Any ways  in February my husband was offered a chance to apply for a job in Utah.  And I told him to go.  He needed to get away.  And now here we are.  Right now we are in the process of negotiating a sale price with a buyer on our house.  I hope it all works out.  Pray for us please.  But to the topic.  Learning to be better from Nephi.  If you haven't figured it out.  I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints aka " A Mormon".  And this year we are to read the book of Mormon.  We have been challenged to read it as a family and on our own.  I'm typically not home for family reading as I work nights.  But I've been trying to read every day.  Its odd I've read this book multiple times.  But with each change in my life I learn new things from it.  I'm only in the first chapters but Nephi has already taught me some new things.
 1 Nephi 17: 3 " And thus we see that the commandment's of God must be fulfilled.   And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness."   Our last two years seem like a sojourn in the wilderness to me.  And as I look back I see the Hand of God in our lives.  He was there to provide for us both spiritually and physically.  Through our trials he nourished us and strengthened us.  I'm so grateful for that.
Next 1 Nephi 18: 3 " And I, Nephi did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed me great things."
As I attend the temple each week, I realize that I'm going to the mount of the Lord.  I have such peaceful experiences.  What I love is one room is painted as if you are actually up in a mountain.  I feel as if I'm up in the mountains of Vermont.  I have had such great inspiration come to me.  I desire continually to go more and more often.  So I'm now bribing my family to help clean so I have more days to attend.  I understand this passage so much more.

And the last 1 Nephi 18: 16 " Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions." Nephi is telling this because he has been bound hands and feet for many days on a boat by his brothers who want to kill him.  Yet he does not complain.  He praises the Lord and waits for him to help him.
This is what I've learned from our trials, just move forward, don't complain.  Continue to be faithful, continue to go to the Lord with your heart open and ready.  He will care for you. 
I'm so thankful for the blessings of my trials for they have made me strong.  I have also been moved to a place where I can become closer to God.  I have never felt so at peace.  We have trials still but I know that God is blessing us. 
Sorry to be so preachy to day but I can't contain this Joy I feel.
G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment