Friday, February 3, 2012

I feel like a detective when I do family history research

One of the reasons I love to do family history work is because I often feel like I am being a detective. I am uncovering the mysteries of those who went before me.  I'm finding out who I am related to and what their lives were like.  I find out about the world that they lived in, and the problems they faced.
I just finished a book that spans from England before the first world war all the way to our time.  The narrator of the book starts out as a maid for a wealthy family in her town at the age of 14 and lives to be in her 90's.  You get to learn about what life was like for people during the two world wars.  I believe this young man served in the 2nd world war.  I know my grandfather did too.  He lied about his age to go to war.  These men who fought for freedom were changed.  They came back having experienced horrors that one would hope we could keep from coming again.  But it seems our society does not learn well when it comes to wars.
I love to look at photo's and ask "Who are you?" "What was your life like?"  I wish that their spirits could speak back to me.  This is my Great Great Great Grandfather on my mothers fathers side.  His name is Samuel Kimball.  He lived in New Hampshire and Vermont.  I can't find who his parents are.  It frustrates me.  The odd thing about being here in Utah is there are famous Kimball's out here.  It's a common name.  I see it everywhere.  I often wonder if I could find more information if I'd find I'm related to some of them, if you went far enough back.
Here is his granddaughter Bessie Kimball Eastman.  Looks like I got my love of horses from her. She was my mothers grandmother.  My mother never got to meet her because she died of diabetes.  The book that I just finished is called " The House At Riverton." By Kate Morton.  She also wrote " The Forgotten Garden."  The book was really good, and made me think of family history and detective work.  In fact it has made me want to read a detective book next.  I've never read Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie.  These were mentioned in the book.  The great thing about owning a nook is that I can get these books for free.
What do you think?  Is this a little girl or a little boy?  Was the family well off or poor.  You will be surprised to know this is a little boy.  I don't know why but they used to dress them up like girls for photo's.  I'll have to look into that.  I think most boys this day and age would die if their parents had a photo of them dressed as a little girl.  I wonder if this was taken out side or if it was in a studio.  One other thing I liked about the book I recently read was it talked of the changes in the generations, and moral decline.  I wonder what our ancestors would say about the world today?  Would they be shocked that women wear jeans and pants and not frilly dresses?  Would they be appalled that women work and vote?  I would love to know what they would think of all the technology.  I love looking at the old photo's and wondering about these people who came before me.
I have a gift for finding family names.  This past week I found over 20 new family members. I have found over 317 names since moving here.  I have been enjoying looking at their census records and learning about them.  Sometime I feel so happy for these people, and other times I feel their pain, and realize the hard lives some of them lived.  The loss of their children to sickness and wars.  They cause me to pause and be thankful for the ease of my life.  I wish I could speak to them, to hear their stories.  Perhaps in the eternities I'll have that chance.  Good luck on your search.
G.G.

1 comment:

  1. I love these photos, especially the one of your great great great grandfather. It is so interesting to imagine what life must have been like. I have to say though, I'd rather live now.

    ReplyDelete